VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it turns out SimCity Classic runs just fine in 32-bit Windows 7. I had it running on my Atom netbook for quite a while. Problem is, the default window layout and settings suck donkey dick. Games start on Fast speed, windows overlap, there is no tile function, and they're just kind of piled up. Sure, the game wasn't designed with widescreen in mind, but still.

I attemped to change the settings to my liking and clicked on Save Options. I also poked through the CFG file in hopes that it would let me define window dimensions. No deal. Worse still - the next time I loaded the game and started a city, NO WINDOWS showed up. No options were available from the menu. Pretty much all I could do was exit. I wondered if this was the result of Win7's quirky permissions, but to my surprise the same thing happened to my Win98SE computer.

So my questions are:
1) What causes the game to load up a blank layout?
2) Is there a safe, reliable way to define a layout?

Reply 1 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game was designed for Windows 3.1, so Win98 is already a lot different. Issues regarding window size might show up with these titles, like Nightmare 3D hangs if you try to run it in full screen in any Windows version other than 3.x and Fury3x can't go full screen on any Windows based on NT.

Reply 2 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try lowering your resolution to 640x480. I think you might be able to do that in the compatibility mode options, or perhaps with Resplendent Resolver.

There are alternatives such as LinCity or Micropolis, but I haven't tried them myself.

Reply 4 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ayoye... 😒

Starting the game with a resolution higher than what the game expects may be causing the game to load up a "blank layout". Try lowering your resolution to 640x480. In Windows 7 or XP, I think you might be able to do that in the compatibility mode options, or perhaps with Resplendent Resolver.

There is no universal solution to this sort of problem as this is not a problem that happens in a wide variety of applications. Have you looked for patches already?

Reply 5 of 12, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But the layout is not blank until I save options. Also, this has happened on my Win98SE machine, so it's not a quirk of a newer OS.

Googling "simcity classic for windows patch" results in this page. I'm sure that's a dead end.

Reply 6 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bucket wrote:

But the layout is not blank until I save options.

So maybe it is calculating the numbers it should store on the basis of the current resolution, and combing up with bad numbers.

Also, this has happened on my Win98SE machine, so it's not a quirk of a newer OS.

So are you running Windows 98SE at 640x480? What resolution are you running it at? Windows 3.1 was often run at 640x480.

Reply 8 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is why I mentioned LinCity and Micropolis. Micropolis is in fact based on the original SimCity source code and should run easily on all modern systems, and presumably will even play exactly the same as the original. It seems you can get it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/micropolis.mirror/ .

Netbooks come in a wide variety of different specifications, so it is hard to say how well anything will run on your netbook. Does your netbook run DOSBox?

Reply 9 of 12, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an Atom netbook (basically an underpowered P4), so I imagine it's powerful enough to run a game made in 1993. I'll go out on a limb and say all x86 netbooks are similarly capable. My concern was whether it's still compatible.

Reply 10 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

There are alternatives such as LinCity or Micropolis, but I haven't tried them myself.

I was hoping Micropolis would be a good alternative but it does not have a convienent Win32 release. Yet today I found and tried a new branch micropolisjava-1.1. This one actually runs nicely. 😀

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bucket wrote:

My concern was whether it's still compatible.

As SimCity 2000 does nothing fancy with actual 3D rendering, I would not expect it to have any compatibility problems with the hardware.

Reply 12 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bucket wrote:

It's an Atom netbook (basically an underpowered P4), so I imagine it's powerful enough to run a game made in 1993. I'll go out on a limb and say all x86 netbooks are similarly capable. My concern was whether it's still compatible.

It is powerful enough. The window problem happens because Win7 AND Win9x deals with them a lot differently than Win3.x. If you do what Jorpho said, plus lowering the colours to 8-bit mode and disabling visual themes there's a chance you may get rid of the problem. If not, there are some few more things to try using Microsoft ACT 5.x. Simcity 2000 still complains when running with more than 256 colours and some animations do not play correctly.