VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Deadalus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it any way to play it on Windows 7? From what I've heard it should works on Windows XP, but on Windows 7 it always CTD whenever I try to launch the game. Here's the log output says:

2 Video Cards, Using Card 0
Using DD Device: 0 [Primary Display Driver]
Using RGB Emulation
Create Z Buffer Surface failed err
Action not supported.Create 3D Device Error: 87 (One or more of the parameters passed to the function are incorrect.)
Trying Different deviceCreate 3D Device Error: 87 (One or more of the parameters passed to the function are incorrect.)

Or there's no way to run it on Win7 at all? :\

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes these problems are a result of video drivers (or even the video hardware itself) dropping support for older features.

What video card are you using? Is it the same hardware you used with Windows XP?

Reply 2 of 8, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I set the desktop to 16-bit color
the demo works here (win7) in windowed mode 320x240 out of the box.

I think video driver problems can be removed from the equation by applying the ForceDirectDrawEmulation shim using MS ACT Compatibility Administrator

Once the game is working...

The postage-stamp sized window can be made full-screen if an nvidia card
In the nvidia control panel:
Create a custom 320x240 resolution at 16-bit color.
Under "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" have it scale to fullscreen and "override game settings" for the 320x240 resolution.
Apply the 320x240 resolution
then launch the game and run it as fullscreen
( ack: I Got Killing Time Running Windows 7 x64 )

AFAIK dxwnd can upscale too...
http://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/

Reply 3 of 8, by Deadalus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
If I set the desktop to 16-bit color the demo works here (win7) in windowed mode 320x240 out of the box. […]
Show full quote

If I set the desktop to 16-bit color
the demo works here (win7) in windowed mode 320x240 out of the box.

I think video driver problems can be removed from the equation by applying the ForceDirectDrawEmulation shim using MS ACT Compatibility Administrator

Once the game is working...

The postage-stamp sized window can be made full-screen if an nvidia card
In the nvidia control panel:
Create a custom 320x240 resolution at 16-bit color.
Under "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" have it scale to fullscreen and "override game settings" for the 320x240 resolution.
Apply the 320x240 resolution
then launch the game and run it as fullscreen
( ack: I Got Killing Time Running Windows 7 x64 )

AFAIK dxwnd can upscale too...
http://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/

It works! Thanks.

Reply 4 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digging this one up, as I've got around to installing this game on Win8.1 64bit...

It says there's not enough video memory(!) to run hardware mode, so the best you can do is apply compatibility of Win98 or Win95, 16-bit colour and 640x480 res then run it in software mode (yuck!), which is a simpler route than the steps above.

Using dgVoodoo's DirectX emulation the "gfxerror.log" file says:

2 Video Cards, Using Card 0
Using DD Device: 0 [dgVoodoo]
Using dgVoodoo HAL
GetAttachedSurface failed err
Access to this surface is being refused because the surface memory is gone. The DirectDrawSurface object representing this surface should have Restore called on it.Create 3D Device Error: 130 (DirectDraw received a pointer that was an invalid DIRECTDRAW object.)
Trying Different deviceCreate 3D Device Error: 130 (DirectDraw received a pointer that was an invalid DIRECTDRAW object.)

I may try this with some other wrappers/fixes in a while... more games to install first!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 7 of 8, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fixed! (For the demo at least, don't know if the full game behaves the same way.)

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … d89dd82/?page=1

Edit: Some polygons seem to be missing.

Attachments

• racing.png
    Filename
    racing.png
    File size
    175.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did this in the end with newer DgVoodoo ddraw files, plus Win95 compatibility mode on the exe, finally run at 640x480, or it draws on a small window.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor