VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snowflake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have downloaded Diablo to my pc and I went to play it, but the color and graphices are very choped and you cant tell what is what. I need help in finding something for my problem. I have a windows 7 if that helps any.

Reply 1 of 15, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diablo and Diablo 2 have problems running in Windows 7. AFAIR, they are 256 color games, and Win7 does not support 8bit colour anymore. They seem to work fine with a Glide wrapper, though.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 2 of 15, by snowflake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i have a old tower I was playing it on but my tower wont turn on at all. so I tryed it on m laptop and i pulled it up and the color was like wow holy crap thats bad. So I tryed running it with DOSbox and it wont even run it.

Reply 3 of 15, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diablo is a Windows game, of course it will not run in DOSBox.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 5 of 15, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suggest you install a Glide wrapper and run Diablo with it. It seems to work with Diablo 2. Try nGlide, I think is worth a try.

Reply 6 of 15, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diablo1 doesn't use glide, ist a Direct Draw game, so using a glide wrapper for Diablo1 won't help.

The game runs fine for me under Win7 x64.
Right click the EXE, click "properties" and go to the "compatibility" tab. Enable WinXP SP3 compatibility and check everything in the "settings" box. That works for me.

::42::

Reply 7 of 15, by bushnrvn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran into issues with Diablo on Windows 7 as well. I am not sure what causes it but it has something to do with explorer.exe. The best solution I've found is to kill the process and then open Diablo. I got tired of doing this so I made up a quick batch file.

This part is widely available around the web as the de facto solution for the issue:

Open up notepad, copy/paste the bit below and save it as a .bat file. Make sure it is saved in the same directory as Diablo.exe.

@echo off
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
diablo.exe
pause
start explorer.exe
exit

You can use this to run the program without issue. The way it is written it has to be saved in the same directory as Diablo.exe.

Instead of navigating to the batch file every time, I made a shortcut of it on the desktop. The default icon is pretty ugly, so you can change it to the Diablo icon or since you are on Win7, a 32-bit icon would look sharp.

To change the icon: Right click the shortcut => Select Properities => Select Change Icon => Choose the icon you want by clicking browse and navigating to the icon file => Click OK.

Now, rename the shortcut to Diablo and you have a batch file disguised as the real deal on your desktop. Set it up once and you're good to go.

I've had only a few troubles here and there in Diablo II. The best solution I've found is to just run it in a window by adding the -w parameter to the end of the shortcut destination.

Reply 8 of 15, by snowflake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i had installed Diablo 1 because i lost the diablo2 cd key to install it.... I have had these games for years and my last move I lost all my codes for Diablo and the old Sims 2 games. But I will try the both suggestions out if one dont work the other might.

OK I tryed it and it did not work neither of them did. I did the code with your directions and all it is doing is poping back up with th notepad. I am not sure what I did wrong. Oh I dont have a Diablo.exe in my computer sistum. Not one that says it like that anyways.

Reply 10 of 15, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

killing explorer works
or you could use
http://bitpatch.com/downloads/ddraw_color_fixer.zip
or
http://bitpatch.com/downloads/ddwrapper.zip

Diablo1 is one of the few games that should already have this "fix" applied by Win7 by default. However if you change the executable name ( a mod or hellfire.exe ) it doesn't get applied by default.

Reply 12 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

whay is this thread doing in Console & Arcade?

Took care of that for ya 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 15, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi pointy one 😜

snowflake wrote:

OK I tryed it and it did not work neither of them did. I did the code with your directions and all it is doing is poping back up with th notepad. I am not sure what I did wrong.

It opens with Notepad because you saved it with a .txt extension. A batch file should have a .bat extension.

Disable "hide file extensions for known filetypes" under "Folder and Search Options" so you can see what you're doing.

Reply 14 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snowflake wrote:

i had installed Diablo 1 because i lost the diablo2 cd key to install it.... I have had these games for years and my last move I lost all my codes for Diablo and the old Sims 2 games. But I will try the both suggestions out if one dont work the other might.

I've got a Diablo 2 up on eBay at the moment, but can't advertise it here, but you might be able to find it!

Reply 15 of 15, by Xolares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TO get them to work just Disable and goto Classic theme and it will work!

2x P3 800MHZ - 1GB PC133 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64MB - Soundblaster AWE32 28MB 32Pin ISA & Music Quest ISA MIDI I/O + Roland SC-88 Pro - 2x IDE to CF 16GB Flash HDDs-Win98SE SP3 137GB+-Windows 2000 SP4R2-17" CRT NEC MultiSync 1600x1200