VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Pirates! GOLD for Windows and (as it states in the README) it simply refuses to work under any display mode other than 16 or 256 colors. Running Win98 SE, setting the display to 256 colors is obviously a drawback. I was thinking that there's gotta be someway to fool PGWIN so it'll work without having to go 256 colors, right? Thanks!

Reply 6 of 13, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm...what .exe file? Do you mean the game's .exe file? If so, I tried what you said, but there is very little, if not any, "options" to choose from. Again, I have Windows 98 and NOT Windows XP.

Reply 7 of 13, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, i thought there was such an option in win9x too. What's wrong with switching your desktop to 256? I think the only drawback is that all icons stay in 256. But it doesn't affect you computer in any way.

Reply 9 of 13, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Photo retouching programs and/or bitmaps/videos just suxx with 256c.

Yeah, that's the MAJOR problem with having to go to 256c. Though, not only bitmaps stink with 256c, but nearly every kind of image does too! I bet this is just another flaw with those annoyingly buggy Microprose games. As anyone who played Pirates! GOLD for DOS should know there were so many bugs (especially while playing under just about every version of Windows) that it almost rendered the game unplayable! While, so far, other than this 256c snag, the Windows version is pretty darn SMOOTH!!

Also, a definitely noteworthy bonus in PGWIN is to be able to hear the MIDI music from various softsynths!!! I guess there's no other way to play this game under Win9x, then to go to 256c, for now, at least. Well, this '256c compatible mode' is quite a feature, but does it actually let PGWIN work under XP? In that case, you know, I just might give XP a shot! I think i'll dual-boot Win98 + XP if I only.....

Reply 12 of 13, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An apt suggestion, I just tried this program, and I must say that I was pretty impressed. I especially liked how it automatically reverted to my orginal display mode. As the website stated it is just Microsoft QuickRes with 'Automation', more or less so. However, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I was about 99% sure that there was some program outhere that could do what this app does.

The fact is, what I was really looking for was maybe some kinda hack/crack/phreak, etc. that could override or somehow disregard that 256c prompt, and allow the game to run. Or, at least, just anyway to run the game WITHOUT having to change my display. Apparently, this app does NOT do these things. Yet, for now, I guess this will have be sufficient.