VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have HP Vectra VL600 which it has TV Tuner, so I want to make retro feel HTPC. What is very obsolete HTPC software which support Windows 9x? WebTV on Windows 98 was feel not enough for me.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last time I was messing around with a TV tuner on an old machine, the only reliable software I could find was VirtualVCR-Matroska. You see, the Matroska format (.mkv) allows for variable frame rates, so if the recorder ever has to drop a frame, it can just keep on going. With anything else (i.e. that records to AVI), the frame rate has to stay constant, and the audio will go out of sync when frame start dropping.

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This might sound funny but I use VirtualDub for watching television and I believe that still has support for Win9x. Just run it then choose "Capture AVI" then pick your tuner. It's purely DirectShow based and to change the channel you'll have to bring up an annoying tuner settings window. Unfortunately this really isn't a "PVR" software so it won't record your shows automatically or even have listings. It's a very barebones app for manual old-fashioned sit-through-the-commercials live TV watching.

Last edited by leileilol on 2013-05-21, 20:27. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Hauppage PVR-150 that I use for TV. It has Win9x drivers all up to Windows 7 64bit 😀 Just want to say that the quality is highly improved using the software that came with the card (WinTV) compared to VirtualDub.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 5, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

I have a Hauppage PVR-150 that I use for TV. It has Win9x drivers all up to Windows 7 64bit 😀 Just want to say that the quality is highly improved using the software that came with the card (WinTV) compared to VirtualDub.

This is ridiculous driver support! Mine AVerMedia AVerTV only support up to WinXP (sadly no Win7 support 🙁)