VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went to play Legend: Hand of God recently and am getting an error on startup:
Cannot init PhysX - please install AGEIA PhysX System Software

I am guessing it came with an earlier version of PhysX instead of the Nvidia version. One site said to rename or delete PhysXCore.dll in the program directory to force it to use the newer version, but I still get the same error.

Anyone have any ideas or know a fix for this game? I am trying to run it on Windows 7 64 bit

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure Windows isn't trying to restore the file after you rename or delete it?

You might want to use Process Monitor from http://www.sysinternals.com to make sure it isn't trying to access some other copy of the file.

Reply 2 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xian97 wrote:
I went to play Legend: Hand of God recently and am getting an error on startup: Cannot init PhysX - please install AGEIA PhysX S […]
Show full quote

I went to play Legend: Hand of God recently and am getting an error on startup:
Cannot init PhysX - please install AGEIA PhysX System Software

I am guessing it came with an earlier version of PhysX instead of the Nvidia version. One site said to rename or delete PhysXCore.dll in the program directory to force it to use the newer version, but I still get the same error.

Anyone have any ideas or know a fix for this game? I am trying to run it on Windows 7 64 bit

I found this link on the steam community hub for this game, check out the last post:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/12630/discussio … 25849438505369/

Apparently you do need to have an older version installed, you can download these older versions from nVidia's website along with the latest PhysX build.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 3 of 4, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks BigBodZod! That worked perfectly. The Legend Hand of God directory had PhysX_8.04.25_SystemSoftware.exe in it so I was able to uninstall the current version and use that and it would work, but you supplied the missing piece of the puzzle. Every time I would install a newer version of PhysX such as with a new game that required it, the old Ageia version would be wiped out and the game would no longer work. Following that procedure allows me to have both old and new versions.

I usually don't rely on others to do my googling for me, but I missed that solution during my search. The game is just an average action RPG, but my son really liked it and wanted to replay it. Thanks again.

Reply 4 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xian97 wrote:

Thanks BigBodZod! That worked perfectly. The Legend Hand of God directory had PhysX_8.04.25_SystemSoftware.exe in it so I was able to uninstall the current version and use that and it would work, but you supplied the missing piece of the puzzle. Every time I would install a newer version of PhysX such as with a new game that required it, the old Ageia version would be wiped out and the game would no longer work. Following that procedure allows me to have both old and new versions.

I usually don't rely on others to do my googling for me, but I missed that solution during my search. The game is just an average action RPG, but my son really liked it and wanted to replay it. Thanks again.

The trick I find is to goto the Steam Game Community Hub first and look around a bit, most likely this resolution would be there before having to do a Google search 😉

I was meaning to get this game when it goes on sale next time on Steam.

Going to add to my wishlist now.

No matter where you go, there you are...