VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I was wondering as I am dual booting OSX and Ubuntu right now would it be a good idea to write a post with games compatibility in wine? More specifically I am using playonlinux as a front end for wine.
A vast majority of my owned games come from the 1996-2002 Windows gaming era (literally hundreds of games) and thought it might be a good idea to have a compatibility list (with used wine version for each game)
I understand there is a compatibility list of winehq.com but it is generally out of date and I thought having an easy list here would be handy?
There are quite a few games that work out of the box that struggle to work even in Windows
Just a thought, what do you think?

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think it would be more helpful to update the compatibility list of WineHQ.
Starting another list here or elsewhere is just starting another soon-to-be-out-of-date list. Besides the one on WineHQ does give good hints at times.

And zhen there is the matter of different compatibilities on linux and OSX....

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fair enough. My only thought is that with playonlinux you can use multiple versions of wine you require without using just the installed version as there are regressions within each engine so some games work fine with say version 1.1.36 but not with the latest 1.6-rc2. I was just thinking of putting up a list of games and corresponding wine versions that I have got working fine something that you cant do in winehq. The list would never be out of date then

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't it be better to report the issues you are having with the games with the latest version of Wine so that they could be fixed?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As far as I can see, you can enter the version of Wine it worked with in the WineHQ AppDB. But I didn't create a login, only looked at Sims2 http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … ersion&iId=2633

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats cool I'll stick with updating Winehq 😀

According to the nglide compatibility list requiem avenging angel dsoent work in 3dfx? Is this true because I just got it running in Wine

Reply 6 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a bug in the nGlide with the Requiem 3dfx mode - the screen is blank. With several interface icons sometimes.
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/835/requiem2.jpg
Maybe someday Zeus will fix this.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 7, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm well it works fine here in Wine using nglide, been playing it for most of today too

Attachments

• Filename
    06.png
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Downloads
    17 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    33.png
    File size