VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by smithgn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, I hope I posted this to the right area of the forum.

Anyway, I recently bought Anachronox from Gog.com and while trying to start the game up after installation I get an error message that reads:

"Couldn't load renderer!

Anachronox is not compatible with your current video hardware/software combination.

If you have a 3dfx card, please use the WickedGL drvier. For any other card, make sure you have the latest driver from your chip manufacturer."

So on and so on...

What does this mean? I'm a novice when it comes to troubleshooting gaming problems. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are my computer specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
6 MB RAM
DirectX 11
ATI Radeon HD 4550
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Version: 8.56.1.16

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smithgn wrote:

Anyway, I recently bought Anachronox from Gog.com

Why not ask on the GOG.com forums, then? http://www.gog.com/forum/anachronox/

Yes, there are knowledgeable people here, but if you are seeking people who may be familiar with the problem you are experiencing, surely the GOG.com forums would be a better place to look?

I vaguely recall reading something about disabling OpenGL extensions, but I'm not sure if that's relevant anymore or how you would do it on an ATI card.
Anachronox will not start any more!

Reply 2 of 4, by smithgn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, wow. I didn't even realize Gog had a forum made especially for each game. Thanks for that. I actually found this site through google while trying to troubleshoot it on my own so I thought I'd give it a shot on here... Especially since this is still largely an active forum. Thanks for the help.

If anyone else by chance knows how to solve this problem off the top of their head, by all means...

Reply 4 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The source for this may be standard "OGL extensions buffer" overflow.
Find the line gl_extensions: %s in ref_gl.dll and replace %s to %p.

As the radical solution - install Anachronox build 44, nGlide and use WickedGL renderer.