VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 30, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate that card... well the drivers. I seem to recall the reason I set my SBLive! on fire and danced around the it while chanting those many years ago was because of dual processors on Windows 2000 giving lots of BSODs. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz did not have such an issue with SMP computers.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 21 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

During the Win2k days their drivers were terrible no doubt. If you were gaming it was best to just stay in the Win9x realm in general though because VXD drivers were performing better for almost everything.

Reply 22 of 30, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The download links from swaaye are still good as of today- downloaded just fine. Thanks swaaye!

Download link from flashback also working if you use mirror number 2 only - number one appears to be dead. Thanks to you as well flashback!

And of course, I also grabbed the original driver cd's hosted here- any reason not to try those out first? Unless somebody here has had an issue with them I will likely just go that route first and see how they work. I hadn't heard of any issues with them till I got to this thread- not that I had been looking though. 😀 But now, I am just a little doubtful.

Anybody have recent (or past) experience with the original creative drivers hosted here? My card is the 4760 of the Live! which is the retail Live! version 2, The install will be on Win98se

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 23 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Liveware 3 is probably the best driver for 98SE.

Here's a little history of Live drivers
http://books.google.com/books?id=tKO-truWww8C … epage&q&f=false

Reply 25 of 30, by Holering

User metadata

Sounds like the OP has the same problem I did. Use wdm divers. Stay away from liveware CD's and vxd drivers in general.

swaaye wrote:

Liveware 3 is probably the best driver for 98SE. /books?id=tKO-truWww8C&lpg=PA246&dq=liveware%20live&pg=PA246#v=onepage&q&f=false[/url]

I disagree (unless you have an older mobo with proper nmi-ddma handling, but problems can still happen). Don't get me wrong, I think it's the best thing to have these older CD's and documents around.

In case the OP or anyone else is still having problems, look at this thread: How to get Sound Blaster Emulation in Win9X/ME via live!5.1 with newer-current mobo's (no nmi-ddma). These are wdm drivers which are very stable, modern, and underrated compared to the liveware (vxd) drivers. Very similar to 2000/XP drivers (they don't litter the device manager with needless devices). But the coolest thing is the Sound Blaster Pro emulation for Dos games inside Windows 9x; no need for nmi-ddma mobo, no SET BLASTER line required, no TSR's or emm386 needed while loading 98; and midi with custom soundfonts work for Dos games too. Work with ME too with same results. Also, you can use the old audiohq, surround mixer-speaker setup from older liveware cd (they're lightweight vs the newer versions that released during wdm drivers). Don't remember the infamous Duke3D crashes in sewers with these either (unlike the sb16 emulation from liveware drivers).

EDIT:
Vxd drivers from liveware CD's are in fact better (purely hardware based low level driver). Take back what I said. WDM drivers however, do work wonders for those that don't have nmi-ddma capable mobos (or some other sb16 emulation problem).

Last edited by Holering on 2014-04-16, 21:27. Edited 10 times in total.

Reply 27 of 30, by Holering

User metadata

Is NFS3 free? because I don't have it.

For the record, the early liveware CD from 1998 (hosted from one of Mdgx's links) has to have the best package set I've seen. Audiohq and tools are very light (they're actually GUI tools instead of bloatware). They even have the authors names on each tool (like some really old Unix packages). The coolest thing, is the speaker setting has a bunch of game setup profiles for each speaker type (Final Fantasy vii, Turok, StarCraft, Jedi Knight, Quake 2, Resident Evil, etc, etc!). It's sad how bloated and generic current drivers have gotten with HD graphics and other crud. This has to be the most enthusiastic sound package I've seen were they actually cared about their customers (okay maybe some GUS cards might've been pretty exotic but still). It even works with WDM drivers (only tested up to 9-13-2001 WDM in 98SE)!

Reply 29 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the Live! should be just skipped 😀

Better of getting a cheap Audigy LE or LS. They come with the same or similar chip but the web release driver is all you need for playing games.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I think the Live! should be just skipped 😀

Better of getting a cheap Audigy LE or LS. They come with the same or similar chip but the web release driver is all you need for playing games.

Yeah I don't even have a Live anymore. Last one died for some mysterious reason. I typically use an Aureal card or an Audigy.