VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by manic232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get the excellent game Wipeout 2097 (XL) working with Windows 98.

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB Live 5.1 Sound Card.

There is loads of information and patches on the internet that claim to fix the infamous 'game runs too fast bug' but most of what I have seen say that the problem exists with Pentium 4 and up and Windows XP and up, however I have a 600MHz P3 and Windows 98SE with a Voodoo 5500 and still have this problem. I have tried the speed fix patch and the wobble multiplayer patch but nothing works, game still runs far too fast to be playable.

Can anyone help?

My System: SuperMicro P6SBA Motherboard, Win98SE, PIII 600Mhz, 256MB Ram, Voodoo 5 5500, SB AWE 64 Gold Sound Card, Roland LAPC-I

Reply 1 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, a messy solution, but something to try if you get no other suggestions: install MSI Afterburner and use MSI OSD server to limit framerate. You'll probably need KernelEx to get past the installation. I doubt this will work at all.

Better solution: try to get a XP computer (or Win7, that's what I'm running the game in). Of course if you get a better computer then emulating the PSX version might be better, ship shadows and UI filtering on the PC version is ugly. Then again with the PC version you get slightly more responsive controls and less Red Bull advertising.

Reply 4 of 8, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I'll be an oddball and suggest a PowerVR PCX2 to act as a GPU bottleneck. It usually does 21fps at best in 1024x768 and it can run Wipeout 2 at that resolution.

That cracked me up and it's creative... Love to see the ingenuity of retro computer users 🤣

Reply 6 of 8, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont know id it will help your particular situation but replacing the Wipeout2.exe with the one in the attached archive works for me

Attachments

• Filename
    Wipeout2.zip
    File size
    290.84 KiB
    Downloads
    828 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just tried Wipeout XL with the PCX2 in a P4.... even in 640x480 it'll run at a playable 20-30fps, theory works but you have to put up with the lack of additive blend for the effects. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 8, by trunk70

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bladeforce wrote:

I dont know id it will help your particular situation but replacing the Wipeout2.exe with the one in the attached archive works for me

Thank you! It's working for me 😀

Vous devriez voir ce que je vois.