VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

Today I installed Diablo2 + LOD expansion in my p4 win98SE build... I am having a 300GB IDE HDD installed with all needed patches and win98SE uses the whole disk without problems.
I installed the games, applied patches and copied the files over so they don't need a CD anymore to work (excellent from Blizzard to do this btw) , but I get this error when I try to create a character:

10sg42e.jpg

Obviously the game cannot handle the 200GB of free space 😵 and thinks there is none... googling did not find a solution , anyone here has any info/help/tip for this problem? Maybe something to spoof the free space to a smaller value?
Thanks! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 17, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow I have never seen that before and I run Diablo II on large drives.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/threads/not … sk-space.53782/
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=23947

there's not a lot of useful information out there about it.

Is it worth giving it its own partition?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 2 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah didn't find anything useful too.. 😢
about creating a partition... meh 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 17, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the original diablo 2 cd's which I bought ages ago. But getting that working today???? What a headache. Windows 7 (64bit) ??

Im not advocating piracy...but you own the original cds....

There are torrents available that are like "download and play" and you don't have to do anything. its already patched, hacked and cracked for all operating systems.

I use one of them and my original cd's never leave the cd wallet.

Reply 4 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, inserting a CD (or loading a image) clicking install, downloading a patch and installing it is sooooo hard. How did people have the technical know-how and energy to do that in the past? Crazy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those pre-cracked/ready downloads are no longer needed (at least to game owners), Blizzard themselves made the game running without a cd if you copy the files to the game's directory, there is a readme explaining this with the patch 😀 no need to mess with cracks since you can have official no-cd 😁
Maybe I need to fill up the HDD more, I do intend to make cd-images and daemon-tools scripts so I don't have to use cds anymore (max laziness)

I wonder though why the game fails... it is running on 98SE after all. Maybe the LBA-48bit patch confuses it or something :\

Reply 7 of 17, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Yup, inserting a CD (or loading a image) clicking install, downloading a patch and installing it is sooooo hard. How did people have the technical know-how and energy to do that in the past? Crazy.

If its so easy Keropi would be playing diablo II by now...

keropi wrote:

Those pre-cracked/ready downloads are no longer needed (at least to game owners), Blizzard themselves made the game running without a cd if you copy the files to the game's directory, there is a readme explaining this with the patch 😀 no need to mess with cracks since you can have official no-cd 😁
Maybe I need to fill up the HDD more, I do intend to make cd-images and daemon-tools scripts so I don't have to use cds anymore (max laziness)

I wonder though why the game fails... it is running on 98SE after all. Maybe the LBA-48bit patch confuses it or something :\

The torrent I used was not just a no-cd version but patched for all operating systems.

Reply 8 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your justification for piracy has nothing to do with a hardware bug in the Diablo II code, and your "magical pirate version" would not help either. Try reading the thread and its posts and you won't ever bring up 'hurr durr warez is better cos company dont stop you from playin your gamez'

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣. "torrent" is such a naughty word around here.

Is it piracy if you own the CD in the first place?

Secondly. Sarcasm aside. Where is you're link to this magical patch leileilol?

Reply 10 of 17, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sometimes older programs use 32bit variable to store remaining free space,
if those programs see less number on that variable it would complain about lack of 'space'.

depending on how that variable are formed, adding or substracting feespace might work, ymmv of course.

I experiences it myself, if the free space are slighly above multiple of 4 GB the program would complain about it,
in that case i creates a large dummy files (about 200 MB or so) so the program would thinks there about 3.8 GB of free space.

-fffuuu

Reply 13 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

seems nice but unfortunately not suitable for 98SE 😢

Resplendent Resolver requires Windows XP, 2000 or NT 4.0.

Reply 14 of 17, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keropi, use this http://inky.50megs.com/programdocs/Philip.zip. It's an old utility that helped me play a few games that had such a problem. Basically what it does is, take up space. It creates a really large file (you can set it to whatever you want) that takes up space, so as to bring it within acceptable limits.

I had no idea Diablo 2 had an issue with disk space.

Reply 15 of 17, by ixfd64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried running the game under Windows 98/ME compatibility mode? I had a similar problem with another game (Field & Stream Trophy Bass 4 version 1.0.0.4) on my Windows XP laptop a few months ago, and enabling compatibility mode solved the problem.

http://facebook.com/ixfd64

Reply 16 of 17, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

win98 doesnt have a Windows 98/ME compatibility mode

ps: dou you have a usb thumb drive couldf try installing on that then copying the files over

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 17 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a workaround that works.... create some characters on another system, transfer the saves to my p4 build and play... since the game updates the same save every time it does not complain about hdd space... lame but works 😒

Thank you all for your help and time spent 😊