VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jlnewhook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back after a long absence looking for more help. I recently discovered an old game I enjoyed, "Ed Hunter" the Iron Maiden video game and installed it on Windows 7. Running in compatibility mode for Win95 with the disk in the drive it runs and plays just fine - I was wondering if I could find a way to copy the disks to the laptop so that I don't need to have the disk in the drive in order to play it.

The pertinent info:
Toshiba Satellite L755D
Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU with RADEON HD Graphics 1.40GHz
RAM: 4GB
64 Bit Operating System.

The problem as I see it is that it is one of those games where you put one disk in to install the game, and then need a second disk in the drive to run the game. I set up a shortcut to the .EXE file on my C drive, and this works fine as long as the 2nd disk is in the drive. I made a bin/cue file combination of the disk it wants in the drive and mounted them to a virtual drive F:, which shows up as edhunter.jfs . Not sure about the new file extension here.

Now, when I click the shortcut to EDHUNTER.EXE, it prompts me to Insert Disk 2. In the shortcut properties, I have the following:

TARGET: "C:\Program Files\Ed Hunter\EDHUNTER.EXE"
START IN: "F:\"

No matter how I try to arrange things I cannot get the game to run this way where it does not ask me to physically insert the disk into the drive D.

Help?

Thanks

Reply 3 of 5, by jlnewhook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Collector: I used ImgBurn to make Bin/Cue files, and mounted them to a virtual drive from Virtual Clone Drive. This has always worked before with games that did not require this multi-disk setup. Its also not a DOS game, so I can't bypass the problem by writing a CONF file to tell it what to do.

Davros: I tried that and it did not work.

Any other thoughts?

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many CD-based programs of the time absolutely insist on being run from the first CD-ROM drive letter they find. Computers with multiple optical drives were exceptionally uncommon at the time, you see.

There is no way around this that I have ever heard of. You just have to reassign the drive letters such that your virtual drive is drive D. It's easy enough to do from the Computer Management control panel.