VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kewif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. i hope you will help, i want to play a game of my childhood <3

Had a problem when tryed to install wipeout xl on win7 x64, as i remember it said something like can't launch on x64, when i tryed to mount the iso file in Virtual Drive, so i installed win7 x86, but i still have problem. So here is what happend after i installed Win7 x86.

There were iso file, with crack, so i mounted iso in virtual drive, then runned setup thru windows 98/ME, installed it. but without Microsoft(R) DirectX(tm)3 which asked to install it, couldn't install it cause after trying it said - Setup failed. Setup Aborted.
After installing replaced original on Crack, which running in win 98/ME mode.
So when i tryed to launch, it said:
there was a problem running in that resolution. This may be cause your video card does not have enough memory available. restart the game and select another resolution.

Then i tried to launch thru other devices, the result gaved device "RGB emulation": entered game till first picture and then it wrote - The following file could not be found: C:\Program files\WipeoutXL\pics\HI-RES\menuhf.bmp . Ensure WipeoutXL Cd is in the drive and re-run the game. If this error reoccurs with CD in the drive reinstall the game.

Tryed reinstall with other option, no effect.

My videocard is RADEON HD 6750 2GB RAM 128-bit DDR3, i5-750 CPU 2.39 GHz, memory : 4 GB RAM, motherboard: GA-P55-UD3R

Please Help guys.

Reply 2 of 6, by CPX7700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the original disc would you? If not, well, pirated games aren't really supported here. Sorry. 🤣

Sorry to necro post on this thread, but I have a real copy of the disc and I can confirm that I have the same problem. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with him pirating the game. There is no legitimate reason to discourage people from helping him, since it is clear that his problem is video card/compatibility related and not because of a crack. On WinXP 32-bit the game generally runs and installs fine.

EDIT: The game seems to run okay for me in software mode on Win8 64 bit. If you have further problems it may be because of the crack.

Reply 4 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CPX7700 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the original disc would you? If not, well, pirated games aren't really supported here. Sorry. 🤣

Sorry to necro post on this thread, but I have a real copy of the disc and I can confirm that I have the same problem. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with him pirating the game. There is no legitimate reason to discourage people from helping him, since it is clear that his problem is video card/compatibility related and not because of a crack. On WinXP 32-bit the game generally runs and installs fine.

EDIT: The game seems to run okay for me in software mode on Win8 64 bit. If you have further problems it may be because of the crack.

We get a lot of requests here for help with "abandonware" copies of games, which is why I pointed out that abandonware isn't supported here. Partially it's for legal reasons, since the DosBox team doesn't want to be associated with what is technically piracy, but *ahem*, having played a few abandonware games myself, they sometimes ship with cracks that can cause issues not present in the original versions of the games, especially when it comes to running these games on newer systems or under emulation. Anyway, the red flag went off for me as soon as I saw the word "iso". I know plenty of people make isos of games they already own for convenience, but often when people mention they have an iso of a game they need help with, it's not because they own it.

Anyway, I don't write the rules here, nor do I really have any authority to enforce them. It was kind of stupid for me to comment, looking back.

Reply 5 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried Wipeout XL on various setups. Win7, Win8, 32-bit, 64-bit, ATI and Nvidia. Worked without the problems mentioned here on all of them. I haven't tried my 2097 disc (different region, same game).

Game cracks adds a LOT of troubleshooting headaches. Especially when you just say you're using a crack for a game that has several of them. I know Wipeout XL/2097 has at least 5 modified executables so we've gone from troubleshooting two versions (2097 to XL) to ten versions (2097 with any of the cracks, XL with any of the cracks). No one's going to help you if you're not willing to eliminiate that as a potential problem.

I don't care if you're pirating old titles or not. You're just making it really hard for us to help if you're using cracks we can't test. That's what upsets me about pirates on this forum.

Re: Win8: make sure to update to 8.1 and install updates, then make sure compatibility mode for the exe is set to either 256 colors or 16-bit colors. Direct3D rendering should work.

Reply 6 of 6, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wipeout XL Pentium IV patch available here. This might fix the problems you're having.

Attachments

• Filename
    woxl_patch.rar
    File size
    249.48 KiB
    Downloads
    553 downloads
    File comment
    Wipeout XL P4 fix
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception