Common searches

Sin crashing with NVIDIA OpenGL

Topic actions

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game I was trying was Sin.

I tried nglide and that seems to work the way I expected; I left v-sync on in game, off in nglide, and I didn't notice a stutter, using same refresh rate/resolution. I always set my display to 60hz for v-sync no matter what game. The only problem is that it does seem to drop frames during explosions or other scenes, maybe because of lighting effects (?).

But if I just stare at the ground and pan the camera in circles, there doesn't appear to be any stutter.

Is there a reason why games using the same engine such as Quake 2 can run natively from openGL but others can't, like Sin? Does Nvidia add special exceptions to their drivers?

Reply 1 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sin does support native OpenGL. Is there an OpenGL32.dll in the game folder? Delete it if there is. Also make sure it's not set specifically for 3DFX miniGL in the video settings.

Reply 2 of 20, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Sin does support native OpenGL. Is there an OpenGL32.dll in the game folder? Delete it if there is. Also make sure it's not set specifically for 3DFX miniGL in the video settings.

The only generic dll I see is ref_gl.dll. If I remove that then selecting default opengl will always switch back to software renderer. If that dll is in the folder then the game will crash with default gl.

5W6LTSj.jpg

Reply 3 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xenphor wrote:
swaaye wrote:

The only generic dll I see is ref_gl.dll. If I remove that then selecting default opengl will always switch back to software renderer. If that dll is in the folder then the game will crash with default gl.

I have Sin on Steam and CD. I tried both and both work in OpenGL mode on my Win8 x64 + Core i5 + 6950 machine. The Steam version (1.12) works a little differently though and better on this modern OS.

Are you sure your video card's OpenGL driver is working in general?

And are you using the Sin 1.00 to 1.11 patch? I'm wondering if you might be patching it incorrectly.

Reply 4 of 20, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 1.11 with win7 x64 and a gtx 680 with 327.23 drivers. I can play RAGE, quake2, quake3, doom3, and half life fine.

Did they pull Sin off steam because I don't see it? Only episodes.

I don't suppose this says anything?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: sin.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 3a6c8e52
Fault Module Name: StackHash_e48b
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 58455f4c
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e48b
Additional Information 2: e48bb3d97f83c657ddda74f601ac5065
Additional Information 3: e99e
Additional Information 4: e99e89b66a506bebd71f5f964148a063

Reply 5 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xenphor wrote:

I have 1.11 with win7 x64 and a gtx 680 with 327.23 drivers. I can play RAGE, quake2, quake3, doom3, and half life fine.

Sin on Steam came with Sin Episodes years ago. That's how I got it....

I tried Sin 1.11 on my work desktop which has a 560 Ti. The game crashes on it when set to default OpenGL. So I guess the game is not compatible with current NVIDIA drivers.

F2bnp wrote:
swaaye wrote:

I've discovered that Logitech Setpoint causes problems like this.

Hmm, this may be the culprit, however I'm pretty sure I've witnessed it on other systems too. Time to investigate I guess!

Just yesterday I had Setpoint cause the Sin installer to not come up. Locked up in the background until I closed Setpoint in the tray.

Reply 6 of 20, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
Xenphor wrote:

Sin on Steam came with Sin Episodes years ago. That's how I got it....

I tried Sin 1.11 on my work desktop which has a 560 Ti. The game crashes on it when set to default OpenGL. So I guess the game is not compatible with current NVIDIA drivers.

You mean it worked on AMD but not Nvidia? I thought Nvidia was supposed to have better opengl support?

Reply 7 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xenphor wrote:

You mean it worked on AMD but not Nvidia? I thought Nvidia was spposed to have better opengl support?

The game is about 15 years old and is pretty buggy. That might have something to do with it. 😀

Can you try it on an IGP? What CPU do you have? I'm thinking you could try the Intel HD graphics if you have it.

Reply 8 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ever tried renaming it to quake2.exe or glquake.exe? The extension list overflow i'm betting is what is doing it in.

BTW Deleting ref_gl.dll is a bad idea. That DLL is the engine-specific renderer backend module that redirects to opengl32.dll, 3dfxgl, pvrgl, etc..

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 20, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm only aware of one NVIDIA specific fix required for Sin; you need to disable GL extension support. I believe this is app profile specific and turned on by default in newer drivers. You can also disable multithreading support, but it shouldn't make a difference. This thread is confusing since I'm not sure what the OP was actually trying to run, and know that Sin w/ NV OpenGL works. I know for a fact that on a 7600GT, 9800GTX, and 460GTX in both XP and 7 that Sin Steam runs with only the aforementioned fix and no stuttering. 1.11 should be pretty much the same.

Reply 10 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried the game today on a 560 Ti on Win 7. I looked around the NV control panel for the extension limit setting but I didn't see it... Do we need to bust out NVIDIA Inspector to get at it now? I noticed that Sin Episodes has an app profile on sin.exe so maybe there is no app profile for the original game (same executable name).

Reply 11 of 20, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Renaming Quake 2 exe? But I'm trying to run Sin? Quake 2 already works with opengl.

I only deleted the gl.dll for testing purposes.

It seems that the Steam version may be somewhat modified for newer cards. I don't see any gl extension options in the control panel and I do have the latest drivers (gtx 680).

Reply 12 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just tested and the game works on NVIDIA in OpenGL mode with sin.exe renamed to quake2.exe.

You ask why this works? It causes the driver to use NVIDIA's Quake 2 application profile, probably enabling the restricted OpenGL extensions option. The deal is modern OpenGL drivers have a zillion extensions and when an old game enumerates all of them the result is too large for the variable the game stores them in and so the game crashes.

Reply 13 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not a new issue either. Nvidia overdid the extension list as far back as 2000 for the Geforce2 causing some apps to crash already. Even modeling apps like Milkshape3D had a problem with it early on

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 20, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All q1 and q2 engine games need gl extensions limiter. Or the string will be too long and the game will crash.
For ATi users - enable Catalyst AI (basic or advanced) and check the file %windows%\atiogl.xml - this file must include a prifile for a game .exe.
Example:

<!-- Quake 2 -->
<profile exename="quake2.exe">
<maxExtensionsStringLength>3900</maxExtensionsStringLength>
</profile>

To add new game - just copy this. Plus rename the profile name and .exe name.
Dunno about NVidia, but the principle is the same.

Another way - you can find all "GL_EXTENSIONS: %s" strings in game .exes and/or .dlls. And replace %s to %p. But this is incompatible with the PunkBuster.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2013-09-25, 17:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 16 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game runs fine on my Radeon 6950 without any more than default settings. AMD must have an app profile restricting extensions for Sin whereas NVIDIA does not (probably an oversight).

The driver for my GF 560 Ti does not show the extension limit in the control panel so you'd probably have to use NVIDIA Inspector to get at it manually. Xenphor says his GTX 680 doesn't show it either. Renaming to quake2.exe works fine though.

Reply 17 of 20, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting how they alternate settings like that with different card generations on the same driver. Well I also found out the hard way that I can't use the frame limiter on XP with my card so perhaps it's not that surprising.

Reply 18 of 20, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AMD must have an app profile restricting extensions for Sin whereas NVIDIA does not (probably an oversight).

As the example - Catalyst 12.4 don't have profiles for Daikatana and C.I.A. Operative: Solo Misiions for my Radeon HD2600 Pro AGP.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 19 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

AMD must have an app profile restricting extensions for Sin whereas NVIDIA does not (probably an oversight).

As the example - Catalyst 12.4 don't have profiles for Daikatana and C.I.A. Operative: Solo Misiions for my Radeon HD2600 Pro AGP.

Yeah AMD is definitely not perfect. I have problems with RtCW on the Radeon. If you rename the wolfsp.exe to quake3.exe framerate becomes rock solid 60 fps (with vsync). But I found that this game can also be fixed for Radeons by going into the game's config file and setting "r_primitives 2".