VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firstly, I apologise if this isn't in the right forum. Mods, please feel free to move it of course if it isn't.

Anyway, are there any good menu-driven game launchers for Windows? You know how most DOSBox users (myself included) use a menu-driven game launcher such as D.O.G. or D-Fend Reloaded to load DOSBox and a game? And how MAME is most often used with a frontend (either third party or built in, as in MAMEUI/MAME32). Well are there any good similar programs to load Windows games?

At the moment I use the Windows START menu and also desktop items, but someone recommended IXBAR3000 (http://imxn.net/wordpress/?page_id=14) and I'll probably give it a go when I get home (Saturday, I'm working away at the moment 😢 ), but I was wondering if there was anything better that anyone knew of?

Also, is there anywhere to download screenshots (and box art, loading screens, whatever) that can be used in the launcher, please?

Reply 2 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
leileilol wrote:

Origin can launch Populous if that's what you want.

😉
Yeah, I am unsure why you are interested in specificly that genre, but whatever makes you happy

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 10, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have created over 3000 shortcuts with command line activation (with emulators for example) with individual icons made by me and use a launcher like OSX called winlaunch (http://winlaunch.bplaced.net/) all nicely tidied into their own folders. WOrks a treat and looks great

Reply 4 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bladeforce wrote:

I have created over 3000 shortcuts with command line activation (with emulators for example) with individual icons made by me and use a launcher like OSX called winlaunch (http://winlaunch.bplaced.net/) all nicely tidied into their own folders. WOrks a treat and looks great

In other words, "how to turn Win7 to Win8". Metro is a failure for anything other than a portable,

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 10, by Spawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To each thier own... Just windows games launcher? Try This!

Interested in running more platforms?
I've used a couple... The early Mame GUI's got me thinking about an all-in-one program. Older stuff like Offlinelist and Rom Commander were ok for console types. This eventually lead to more game "front-end" oriented programs like GameEx, Maximus Arcade and the very flashy Hyperspin. They are "pay for" software though and although they are designed for use in actual cabinets they perform very well on thier own. I am poor so I opted for a nice little "free and if you like it, donate" program called MalaFE. It was pretty good and the results could be exactly what u want if u can take the time to create it. A nice little feature of this program was called "jukebox" and it would play mp3's from a directory... It wasn't pretty or easy to use, but it got me thinking. Why not music? Hell, why not video?

Interested in running more than just games?
As much as I'd love to have an actual arcade cabnet with a loaded Hyperspin front-end in my living room, those things are crazy expensive! A popular line of thinking because the HTPC was born. Probably started off by people just hooking up their old PC's to their TV's solely to stream video and started coming up with ways to make it look nice. They've come so far as to almost completely hide your OS and boot right to them. I opted for number 1 on this list. It handles all my games with an add on called "Rom Collection Browser". Works great with the MCE Remote that came with my last PC and I am currentrly making it completely navigatable with a 360 controller (including loading cd images and everything). Old dos game like Need for Speed SE? No problem... Dosbox! What? won't support a gamepad? No problem... JoyToKey!

Ok I got off on a bit of tangent... Hi everybody, I'm new here 🤣

Reply 8 of 10, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:
Bladeforce wrote:

In other words, "how to turn Win7 to Win8". Metro is a failure for anything other than a portable,

No in other words it is an alternative that works for me and wasnt intended to gain a reply of pure hatred for somebody elses personal tastes 😉 I agree with the Win8 Start screen but having an OSX style launcher is just too good looking with games IMHO

Reply 9 of 10, by Marty2dos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just Take a look @ CGBoard. I'm Workin on LH=Game(Start,i), a Windows Game Launcher for Win95-Win7 Era Games. At the moment. i'm workin on a Gui for the Ini. See on Page 2 at the end 😀. The other is a Game Database for Games (PC/Scumm/DOsbox and Console) LH=Game(Database,i) 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmmm....I just couldn't get it....why not create a folder and name it 'Games' on the desktop and put the shortcuts to each and every game installed on that system? You can even display the shortcuts as large icons. You can then launch any game that you have installed. Unless you are trying to create those that come with info tabs for each game - name, publsiher, developer, year of release, no. of times played, etc...

But still... I don't get it... I couldn't see the point in having a Windows game launcher within Windows itself....

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers