VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have several games lying around that refuse to install on my PC with Windows 7 64 bit.
When I click on setup.exe nothing happens but the the task is visible as a process in the taskmanager.
Does anyone know if there is an easy way to be able to excecute these installers?
Preferably without having to build a retro computer and installing old OS'es. 😁

Games I've got problems with so far are:
Need For Speed 4: Road Challenge
Need For Speed: Porsche 2000
M.I.A.: Missing In Action
Expendable

Thanks!

Edit:

I've tried all the compatibilty modes by the way and I run as admin.

Reply 1 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are seeing it in the task manager and not getting the error message of trying to run a 16-bit EXE, then this may not help, but I'll post the link anyway. http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90351 If you have Pro, you could do what I do of installing it in XP Mode to track everything the installer does to duplicate it on the host system. Some installers have accompanying scripts that you can use to see how to manually install a game.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 11, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

If you are seeing it in the task manager and not getting the error message of trying to run a 16-bit EXE, then this may not help, but I'll post the link anyway. http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90351 If you have Pro, you could do what I do of installing it in XP Mode to track everything the installer does to duplicate it on the host system. Some installers have accompanying scripts that you can use to see how to manually install a game.

Yeah I think I will need to make a dual boot with XP, problem is that my previous harddrives had the problem that the sectors/clusters or whatever were incompatible with XP and needed some blackmagic to make it work.
Now I suspected that it caused it to have shortened their lifecycles (they worked only for about a year) and my new one is configured for AHCI and I don't know how to enable that on XP plus that I probably run into that sector/cluster problem again.

Reply 3 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have Win7 Pro, no need for dual boot. Just install XP Mode. Otherwise, just try a VM. I don't know the game, but it may well run on Win7 if you can get it installed. A VM can help with this.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Need for speed High Stakes Windows 7 64bit Install How To.

1. Create new folder path C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes.
2. Extract Patch 4.50 into Need For Speed High Stakes Folder.
3. Extract NFS Patch 10 (Fast Graphics Patch)into Need For Speed High Stakes Folder.
4. Launch install of NFSHS from Disc* Click proceed Do not install patch from disc.
5. Install full game, allow it to install to it's default folder which will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes.**
6. Install Expansion Pack
7. Play game!

*Open CD folder to see contents and run setup.exe in Compatibility mode for windows 98.

** For whatever reason the Installer always seems to hang at the last stage of installing, right after it asks if you would like to add a shortcut to the desktop. I ran through this like 10 times and had it do it everytime, what I did to get around it so it would complete the install was, let it sit for a few secs then clicked logout from the task bar then cancel and the "setup complete" screen popped up and it worked fine. Hopefully this will work if you are experiencing this problem.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Procyon wrote:

When I click on setup.exe nothing happens but the the task is visible as a process in the taskmanager.

Have you tried to install any other, more recent programs lately?

Reply 7 of 11, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or try the alternate 16 bit installers on reactos website?

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Seems a little over the top to install a full OS in vmware or whatever just to play a couple of games. This site has installers that generally work for me with games that have 16bit installers

Reply 8 of 11, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
Need for speed High Stakes Windows 7 64bit Install How To. […]
Show full quote

Need for speed High Stakes Windows 7 64bit Install How To.

1. Create new folder path C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes.
2. Extract Patch 4.50 into Need For Speed High Stakes Folder.
3. Extract NFS Patch 10 (Fast Graphics Patch)into Need For Speed High Stakes Folder.
4. Launch install of NFSHS from Disc* Click proceed Do not install patch from disc.
5. Install full game, allow it to install to it's default folder which will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes.**
6. Install Expansion Pack
7. Play game!

*Open CD folder to see contents and run setup.exe in Compatibility mode for windows 98.

** For whatever reason the Installer always seems to hang at the last stage of installing, right after it asks if you would like to add a shortcut to the desktop. I ran through this like 10 times and had it do it everytime, what I did to get around it so it would complete the install was, let it sit for a few secs then clicked logout from the task bar then cancel and the "setup complete" screen popped up and it worked fine. Hopefully this will work if you are experiencing this problem.

I tried it, but even with the patched version and using win98 compatibility mode I have the same problem, also tried it with disabled Avast and firewall.

Jorpho wrote:
Procyon wrote:

Have you tried to install any other, more recent programs lately?

New programs install fine.

Bladeforce wrote:

Or try the alternate 16 bit installers on reactos website?

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Seems a little over the top to install a full OS in vmware or whatever just to play a couple of games. This site has installers that generally work for me with games that have 16bit installers

I have tried the zip file for Installshield 5.xx as all these game installers seem to be of that version, but the problem stays the same.

Now I'm starting to suspect Avast could be the troublemaker and will remove it from my system completely and try again.

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate the effort. 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was another post on these forums with the same issue who said Logitech interferred with installshield.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could be your system (does avast have a disable option? avg does)
It was I while ago and I cant remember what I did if anything but I did install nfs 4 and expendable in win7 x64
ps: installing expendable to c:\games\expendable will make things easie, also run as admin and with the shortcut change the target to read
go.exe -nocputest

ps: for nfs 4
I may of had to install the Stock & Expansion pack 4.0
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?p=663495

worth a read
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8413

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 11 of 11, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, uninstalling Avast didn't help.

DosFreak wrote:

There was another post on these forums with the same issue who said Logitech interferred with installshield.

Wow, you almost hit the nail on its head, I closed all Logitech programs but the problem remained, then I closed FanaLED's, a program to display gearindicators on steeringwheels, and... my firewall gave me a message that SETUP.EXE wanted clearance (it didn't ask me that before) and NFS Porsche 2000 installshield runs.

yaaaaaaaaaaay 😀

Thanks man, without your hint I never would have guessed that such a program might have caused it. 😀

Davros wrote:
It could be your system (does avast have a disable option? avg does) It was I while ago and I cant remember what I did if anythi […]
Show full quote

It could be your system (does avast have a disable option? avg does)
It was I while ago and I cant remember what I did if anything but I did install nfs 4 and expendable in win7 x64
ps: installing expendable to c:\games\expendable will make things easie, also run as admin and with the shortcut change the target to read
go.exe -nocputest

ps: for nfs 4
I may of had to install the Stock & Expansion pack 4.0
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?p=663495

worth a read
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8413

Avast does have a close all services option, but it still remains active somewhere, to be able to play Raceroom I had to uninstall Avast and do all kind of tricks.
I will check this out, thank you so much. 😀