VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ilana514

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I play SimCity classic on windows 8 64 bit? I have the CD and it won't allow me to install or play the game off the CD...I keep getting a message that it is not compatible with 64 bit...so I was given the advice to download DOSbox...how do I use this to play the game?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

60 Seconds Guide:
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

If it is the Windows 3.x version, then you will have to install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox.
Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

Reply 2 of 4, by AmigaKSI

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't they write an emulator for Windows 3.x yet? Not too many people have Windows 3.x to install in DOSBox especially the non-technical users.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The closest to an emulator for Windows 3.x is WINE....which currently only runs on linux/OSX. Even then it's a moving target so things always break and their focus is alway on what people are running on it and not very many are 3.x programs.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AmigaKSI wrote:

Didn't they write an emulator for Windows 3.x yet? Not too many people have Windows 3.x to install in DOSBox especially the non-technical users.

The vast majority of Windows 3.x programs will run fine in Windows 9x, which can be installed in Virtual PC or VMware. (So can DOS+Windows 3.1, though it's not quite as convenient.) Even XP Mode will run many of them. And even if some of those options aren't particularly satisfactory, a Win 3.x clone written from scratch probably won't fare much better.