VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:

Thanks to GHO, the author of DxWnd we're getting some promising results, thread is here https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … /?limit=25#1c8e !!!

I'll update this thread whenever there's something new.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying to run it on recent PCs without much success yet,

- On VMWare it will never run saying it doesn't find a supported 3D adapter
- On a 2008 PC with an Quadro FX570M the game runs too fast and only the background is present
- On a Core I7 with an ATI HD7850 it will close saying that it couldn't properly initialize the 3d adapter
- Here the guy does copy ATIUMDAG.DLL to the folder but that doesn't work either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1sJqwT-DCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTqS_-Jljo

- I had some success running it on a Pentium 3 550Mhz with a Matrox G400 under XP, in 1920x1200 to slow it down
and using Pinnacle Game Profiler I almost had a pleasant experience using my Xbox 360 controller with it 😀

But no luck at all on a recent configuration under Windows 7/8 ...

Did you have any success running the game on recent configurations ?

Last edited by aybe on 2013-10-18, 16:50. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 59, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know it doesnt answer your question exactly but it runs perfectly using Wine in Ubuntu

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … rsion&iId=12725

Just tested it myself and it does seem to run perfectly. Never did try this one on a windows 7 machine

I did find some help on the lucasarts forum i dont know if it will help you but here

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threa … 146110&tstart=0

Edit, it does seem this game is very picky with video cards it will run on 😒 Hope you find a resolution 😀

Reply 2 of 59, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh ok thanks for the Wine hint, I'll give it a try !
Re. those posts in LucasArts forums I've seen all of them, never been helpful at all ...

I've applied the patch too which supposedly supports more card such as Nvidia ones but that didn't help.

Yeah it's really an outlier when trying to play it now, almost all old games can be run today but not that one ...
Back in the time I've been playing it with a 3DFX, I still have it along with my P200 MMX
I originally played it on but well, it's cumbersome, no joypad etc ...

There's still another option I haven't tried yet : SVN DosBox with 3DFX emu, need to setup Win98 etc ... boring

What's really intriguing is the guy on Youtube vids, how did he do it, is it fake ? dunno...

Reply 5 of 59, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to my compatibility list:

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (DEMO)

2000/XP (32)/2003/2003 (64)
All work fine as of 2006/2007

Starting with XP 64bit + I had to use Vmware 7.

Tested 7-27-2011

Tested using Vmware v7.1.4, Linux Mint 11 and Wine v1.3.24

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 59, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also the N64 version, but it can be tricky to get emulators to run it correctly.

The PC version is a D3D 5 game that uses table based fog. That is troublesome because without fog it looks awful. It's unfortunate that it doesn't use Glide because that would probably make life easier since one could use a Glide emulator.

Reply 7 of 59, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
According to my compatibility list: […]
Show full quote

According to my compatibility list:

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (DEMO)

2000/XP (32)/2003/2003 (64)
All work fine as of 2006/2007

Starting with XP 64bit + I had to use Vmware 7.

Tested 7-27-2011

Tested using Vmware v7.1.4, Linux Mint 11 and Wine v1.3.24

Great list !

On VMWare 10 + XP 32bits : runs too fast and nothing is visible except background

Reply 8 of 59, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

There's also the N64 version, but it can be tricky to get emulators to run it correctly.

The PC version is a D3D 5 game that uses table based fog. That is troublesome because without fog it looks awful. It's unfortunate that it doesn't use Glide because that would probably make life easier since one could use a Glide emulator.

Last time I tried the N64 version I didn't find that running it was an issue but rather the controls, they are different than the PC version.

Definitely, if it was a Glide game it'd be way easier !

Thanks for the fog hint, I'll try again with 3d analyzer, actually I got it working quite well with VMWare and XP in software mode,
runs well in 640x480 but as some transparency is missing every sprite has black borders it's really annoying.

Been trying the trick on the Youtube vids but can't get ATI Tray Tools to work under Win8 (putting an old ATIPDLXX.DLL hangs the PC),
gonna have to try under XP but I still need to see how I can boot it up on my UEFI PC without messing all the boot process.
(looking on booting XP from a VHD right now ... 😀

Reply 9 of 59, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wasn't there a glide patch? I thought there was or native support built in...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 59, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure this game was a dx5 only game and was one of those games that fell under the "We show 3dfx on the box but didnt let the final game run with it" games at the time. I hope I am wrong 😀

Reply 12 of 59, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been searching without much luck yet ...

I've tried it on a P4 3ghz with an X300 under XP, it works fine, though it doesn't go up to 1920*1200, only 1280*1024.

I think I'll just play it on this PC for now,

But i'm still open on any hint to make it working on a recent PC !

Reply 13 of 59, by Nicouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I remember, I too experienced deep trouble while trying to get SOTE running on my W7x64 PC.
I managed somehow to succeed but I think it was with VMWare.
I think I have written something about that at home. I'll check tonight.

Reply 14 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aybe wrote:

Good news, we already know what's wrong and what we can try to address.

How exactly did you make that? I haven't a clue what it means, but it sure looks informative.

Maybe DDWrapper will do something.

Reply 15 of 59, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicouse wrote:

As far as I remember, I too experienced deep trouble while trying to get SOTE running on my W7x64 PC.
I managed somehow to succeed but I think it was with VMWare.
I think I have written something about that at home. I'll check tonight.

Yep, thanks to share these with us.

Reply 16 of 59, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
aybe wrote:

Good news, we already know what's wrong and what we can try to address.

How exactly did you make that? I haven't a clue what it means, but it sure looks informative.

Maybe DDWrapper will do something.

Heh, I've stumbled upon it a few hours ago ! Unfortunately it didn't do it.
Of these kind of tools the one that looks the most promising is DxWnd https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/,
we're getting more details about the cause with it : DDERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY
I've created a discussion there : https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … hread/86f8f417/

The tool I've used to get this output is apitrace http://apitrace.github.io/

I've already tried a dozen of tools without much success : ati tray tools, d3d8-gl, DXexplorer, dxgl, D3D9Interceptor, ddwrapper, work_ddrawproxy_1.0.

Been looking at my P200 with a 3DFX but didn't have the motivation to plug it in along with the 30kg ! CRT sitting next to it 😀 I recently got hold of this gamepad, probably the one with the most buttons you can find for DOS/Win9X but well, it's not really precise (analog thumb) and it's not as comfortable as an XBOX 360 controller :

Guillemot_T_Leader_3D.gif

@DosFreak : I've tried Wine under Ubuntu, got a light blue screen when running it. That was on a VM though, I guess I'll need to setup a real environment to really see how it goes.

In the mean time I'm trying in VirtualBox 😎

Reply 17 of 59, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks a lot like a N64 controller, which was one of the wackiest looking game controllers I ever used. The only one that look more toy-ish than that was the Gamecube controller. Even the Dreamcast controller was more serious looking.

Reply 18 of 59, by aybe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dreamcast : the console with a huge ergonomy problem, you cannot use the d-pad for too long otherwise you'll have to get a new thumb ... never play fighting games.
Actually do not even bother to play DC, for me it's all beta, the pads, the games, everything ... I have one sleeping here with 30 games, bought it back in the time,
every time I'd plug it in, it makes me depressive. No wonder why Sega closed its doors, compared to PS2 that's the third world ...
today you have sonic hand in hand with mario and on a nintendo platform, mwahahaha we'd have never thought about that back in the time !

oh and yes, about this controller it's a little the same, you cannot play with it for too long, borders are so sharp they literally eat you 😀))

Reply 19 of 59, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aybe wrote:
Dreamcast : the console with a huge ergonomy problem, you cannot use the d-pad for too long otherwise you'll have to get a new t […]
Show full quote

Dreamcast : the console with a huge ergonomy problem, you cannot use the d-pad for too long otherwise you'll have to get a new thumb ... never play fighting games.
Actually do not even bother to play DC, for me it's all beta, the pads, the games, everything ... I have one sleeping here with 30 games, bought it back in the time,
every time I'd plug it in, it makes me depressive. No wonder why Sega closed its doors, compared to PS2 that's the third world ...
today you have sonic hand in hand with mario and on a nintendo platform, mwahahaha we'd have never thought about that back in the time !

oh and yes, about this controller it's a little the same, you cannot play with it for too long, borders are so sharp they literally eat you 😀))

Sega made the same mistake Nintendo did with the Gamecube. Instead of reading the writing on the wall and making systems that could compete on equal footing with the PS2 and XBox, they seemed content with merely improving on the abilities of the N64 instead and selling to the same market when that market was dying.Not being able to play DVD movies really held both of those systems back because gamers wanted systems that could replace their dedicated DVD and CD players as well as play games. I remember reading when PS2 was released in Japan, many families bought them not because there were gamers in the house but because it was the lowest priced machine on the market at the time that could play DVD movies. Games weren't even a consideration for them.