VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 59, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Videos are fine for me, but I did install an Ligos Indeo 5 video video pack from somewhere (think it came with another game)

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 42 of 59, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up using WineD3D.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wined3d4win/

That fixed all my problems and I can now run the game at full resolution and without flickering. FPS were reduced by ~50% according to the integrated benchmark.

Reply 43 of 59, by Marduk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,

I've manage to run Shadows of the Empire using DxWnd, but i have a little problem with Z-Buffer i suppose.

Look at attached screenshots. I can see through walls and other objects. Any suggestions in what im doing wrong?

r6cIyPc.jpg

Reply 45 of 59, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can run this game half a dozen times and get a different result each time. Sometimes it's too fast, sometimes it's too slow, sometimes it locks up, sometimes crashes to desktop.

It's Star Wars Racer all over again, LucasArts sure had some special talent for wonky PC code 🤣

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 46 of 59, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's another fix guide over here: http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2015/02/10/w … shadows-empire/

Incidentally I find the DirectDraw fix/ACT fix here http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630 gets rid of any borders, but if you use > 60hz refresh rate it'll run way too fast! I can swap between 60hz - 120hz - 144hz on my monitor, which is handy!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 47 of 59, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember how Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine wouldn't run properly unless you started Windows Media Player first for some strange reason? That doesn't make any difference here, does it?

Reply 48 of 59, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My weirdest fix on XP was to run DXDiag to prevent Daytona USA and Sega Rally Championship from having crazy normal/fast/normal/fast framerates. No idea how that helped!

Reply 49 of 59, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

My weirdest fix on XP was to run DXDiag to prevent Daytona USA and Sega Rally Championship from having crazy normal/fast/normal/fast framerates. No idea how that helped!

That also worked for me with Starsky & Hutch.

Reply 50 of 59, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On Win8.1 use ACT fixes:
ForceSimpleWindow
NoGDIHWAcceleration

This will improve framerate, though over 60fps = too fast in-game!

Reply 51 of 59, by Avoozl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread but I registered because I need help with a problem I have with this game if anyone can please help me with it.

I got the game working and without music, but when I add the files from the sote_fix.zip posted here my game no longer starts with the new shadows.exe and my launcher just freezes when I press the button to start the game, the shadows.exe is running in the background but the program doesn't appear nor open, is there anything I can do to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am also on Doomworld.

Reply 52 of 59, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Avoozl wrote:

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread but I registered because I need help with a problem I have with this game if anyone can please help me with it.

I got the game working and without music, but when I add the files from the sote_fix.zip posted here my game no longer starts with the new shadows.exe and my launcher just freezes when I press the button to start the game, the shadows.exe is running in the background but the program doesn't appear nor open, is there anything I can do to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you're on Windows 10?

The original Winm0.dll is not compatible with Windows 10. Someone made this fixed one http://1drv.ms/1Rn0o8z .

Attachments

• Filename
    winm0 sote working mingw.7z
    File size
    102.47 KiB
    Downloads
    129 downloads
    File comment
    attached in case the link goes dead
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by teleguy on 2016-05-04, 14:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 53 of 59, by Avoozl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:
Avoozl wrote:

Sounds like you're on Windows 10?

The original Winm0.dll is not compatible with Windows 10. Someone made this fixed one http://1drv.ms/1Rn0o8z .

Yes I'm on Windows 10 but with the fix you linked me I got it working and with the music playing, thank you so much. 😀

The only remaining problem which I have always had before and after the fix however are the window borders showing with a pixel length of transparency around it on the outside while in fullscreen mode, but I don't even know how to fix that.

I am also on Doomworld.

Reply 56 of 59, by borgrail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Well I tried the fix but trying to to run it on Windows XP SP3 was not a pleasant experience, videos corrupted, menus don't work properly, gameplay very slow. So I'll stick to using it with Voodoo3. It's the only game I have that needs it.

Reply 57 of 59, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just popping in to say a lot of these problems DO NOT exist in WINE

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sC … rsion&iId=12725

More options to play these the old games the better

Reply 58 of 59, by Sobek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to say, after I stumbled upon this thread I just HAD to give this a go... I had SotE on my N64 and it was one of my favourite games ever... I also still have my original copy for PC but sadly I never actually had a computer good enough or stable enough to play it back then. That being said, honestly, this was even easier to get working than Ep1 racer was (and that was remarkably easy). I just installed it, used the SotE fix, copied over my WineD3D files from my Ep1 Racer install (because for some reason the ones included with SotE fix do not work at all, the game can't even load), and it was perfect. Did the audio file conversion, slapped on a whole lot of AA and AF, turned on vsync and that was that... the game runs 100% flawlessly. It's exciting to finally be able to play it the way it was intended and not the gimped N64 version!! Win 7 x64 here by the way.

😁

Reply 59 of 59, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a hell of a hard time getting the game working properly on Windows 10 64-bit, but in the end, this is what I've done:

-Since the game won't install on a 64-bit version of Windows with its stock installer, I used that custom one from this site: http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2015/02/10/w … shadows-empire/
-In order for the game to display properly on my Radeon R7 360 (same with my GeForce GTX570), I used dgVoodoo 2 (the latest version is ideal as it has proper aspect ratio correction, which is the only way to get a proper 4:3 image with an AMD graphics card)
-As the included WINM0.DLL doesn't work with Windows 10, I used the modified one from earlier in the thread (strangely, it causes all my other games to crash), but also hex-edited the game's EXE to use the original WINMM.DLL name, after which I proceeded to convert the music to OGG format (is there a replacement WINMM.DLL that works with WAV files instead and doesn't pull a fit on Windows 10? I really don't like using compressed audio formats with CDDA)
-I found that Shadows of the Empire runs too fast when its framerate exceeds 30FPS, so I suggest setting a framerate limiter to 30FPS for this game (easier to do on AMD cards, in my experience)

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.