VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by regularjj55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I pieced together this win95 pc finally from random old pcs and boxes, was feeling pretty good until I got stuck on one final problem: Anytime I try to run wav files in games or media player it suddenly thinks I have no hardware installed. Midi sound works fine, just not wav.

Device manager recognizes my AWE64 gold card and says it is working properly. At first I thought maybe I installed drivers from the wrong disc, so I tracked them down on these forums and the driver image disc is the exact same as the one I have. I tried it anyway and it still does not work.

I updated windows media player to the newest version available for windows 95 again with no results. There is a copy of Realplayer on the AWE64 driver disc, when I try to install that it also gives an error message saying I must install hardware drivers before realplayer.

I am hoping it is something stupid. I was really young when these PCs came out and remember little to nothing about configuring hardware, and Ive been spoiled by plug and play and internet auto-update.

Anyone had this issue or ideas about whats going on? I got about 30 games here ready go to and PC parts spread all over my floor, any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reply 1 of 10, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think all AWE 64 cards were PNP. I would try the card in a different slot if you can. Maybe there's a conflict with that particular slot, I know motherboards I've had shared resources depending on the particular slot...I dunno just trying to give you something to try.

Reply 2 of 10, by regularjj55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good idea ill try that. I cant remember if all awe64's were pnp? I know my awe64v is pnp, but the Gold Im using now made me install the drivers before it recognized it in system.

And yes I did try the AWE64v and I had problems finding the right drivers, may give it another go but really want the Gold to work.

Reply 6 of 10, by regularjj55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which test utilities? I ran MSD, is the sound card supposed to be listed under Other Adapters? I only have the Game Adapter being recognized.

I couldnt remember which gameport drivers I installed, so thinking maybe there was a conflict error I uninstalled the gameport driver and SB AWE driver and reinstalled them from the disk. On reboot it finishes installation from the cd with no errors.

Now neither midi or wav work and the AWE64 is giving a code 10 error. The gameport driver is there again but blank where the name would be, in properties it recognizes it as a creative driver with no conflict errors.

I guess this is sort of progress? At least its giving me an error now..

I dont think msinfo came with win95 or at least not my version. And I enabled pnp OS but hasnt helped.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The installation for the DOS drivers should include some means of testing the card. It's been a while; I forget the details.

There's definitely a DIAGNOSE.EXE available for DOS.

Reply 9 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a similar problem with a 486 board, FM and midi worked but not digital sound. Different sound cards or slots didnt help. Never figured out the problem and ended up selling the board on ebay. I said in the listing I couldnt get sound working and id be interested if they did, but never heard anything from the buyer.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 10, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both AWE64 Gold (CT4390 and CT4540) are PnP, so they need CTCM.EXE to be executed before they can work in DOS mode.

You might want to put DEVICE=C:\...blah...\CTCM.EXE string into your config.sys and see whether it can find and properly configure the card upon boot. If it can, but you still get no sound in Windows, get into DOS mode and run DIAGNOSE.EXE to see if it properly detects the card and does sound and music tests.

If you had other sound cards installed previously, their drivers could prevent your AWE64 from working properly. To fix that, you have to boot into Safe mode and check your Device manager for extra sound devices. If there are ones listed that are no longer present in your PC, you must delete them.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city