ToCA 2: Touring Cars on Windows 7

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brondahl wrote:

...Am I doing it wrong? Is Mr. Blade's installer applying the Patch only? i.e. do I need to get hold of the disc and install it normally first?
Or is there something else 'up'?

From the 10mb size of Blade's patch - it's only the hex-edited file and official v4.1 patch slipstreamed into a single patch installer. You'll need to install the game first, then apply the patch. Remember you may need to install the game by clicking directly on setup.exe as the launcher apparently doesn't work with modern rigs as noted further up thread.

I have TOCA 2 installed on a retro rig but this one-stop patch makes me want to install it on the W7 "mothership" - fabulous game...

Reply 21 of 30, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have Win8 or Win8.1 and use the ACT fix/DDRAW replacement over here http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630 you'll then be able to play ToCA 2 at high fps, for example 144fps on my monitor! However some animations (flags waving and speed the sky scrolls past) are locked to the frame rate, so they move quicker than expected, but it's soooo smooth!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 24 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

If you have Win8 or Win8.1 and use the ACT fix/DDRAW replacement over here http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630 you'll then be able to play ToCA 2 at high fps, for example 144fps on my monitor! However some animations (flags waving and speed the sky scrolls past) are locked to the frame rate, so they move quicker than expected, but it's soooo smooth!

Is there a similar fix for W7 or is W7 not affected by FPS issues to begin with. I ask since TOCA2 is running nicely on my W7 system and though I don't know the exact framerate it feels pretty good - none of the laggy/jerky response you get with lower rates...

EDIT: Fraps reports 60fps [LCD monitor refresh]. Have VS=OFF in Radeon control panel. 60 is fine, but I'd like to test 100+

Also, I wonder if there's a widescreen hack for resolutions above 1440x900?

Reply 25 of 30, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about Win7, to be honest. You could try one of the DDRAW.dll files from that site in the game folder, worst thing that might happen is that it won't work! You could ask about a widescreen patch at http://www.wsgf.org/forums

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 26 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No TOCA2 res fixes on the wsgf site but still an interesting forum. I found that by adjusting Win7 'compatibility modes' different max resolutions were selectable in-game, and the intro videos will play if set to 'XP' or earlier. 1600x1200 4:3 is still pretty nice.

In TOCA 2 it's not hard to beat the AI, especially if you reduce wing and lengthen 6th gear on fast tracks. Generally you are unbeatable unless you spin out regularly. To counter this I use car setup to actually make the car slower and thus more "competitive" during qualifying and race. Maximum wing and shorter top gears. I'm testing at Thruxton now to find a setup that will make it a challenge to qualify better than 5th or so, and a race that will require skill to advance through the pack. Selecting a slower car [the marques are tuned pretty much to match historical results] is also a good place to start if you find the game too easy. TOCA1 was more of a challenge..

Reply 27 of 30, by Brondahl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tincup wrote:
Brondahl wrote:

...Am I doing it wrong? Is Mr. Blade's installer applying the Patch only? i.e. do I need to get hold of the disc and install it normally first?
Or is there something else 'up'?

From the 10mb size of Blade's patch - it's only the hex-edited file and official v4.1 patch slipstreamed into a single patch installer. You'll need to install the game first, then apply the patch. Remember you may need to install the game by clicking directly on setup.exe as the launcher apparently doesn't work with modern rigs as noted further up thread.

I have TOCA 2 installed on a retro rig but this one-stop patch makes me want to install it on the W7 "mothership" - fabulous game...

Heya, I wish so much that I'd noticed this post earlier 🙁
I'd assumed that I'd get an email when someone replied but didn't, and repeatedly failed to spot that there were now multiple pages on this topic!

For the benefit of any others...
I got hold of the game as an ISO.
Next problem I had was that something is blocking the installer from running. Attempted to start in safe mode but couldn't mount the ISO like that (neither of PowerISO/VirtualCloneDrive will function in safe mode) but discovered that if I mounted in normal mode, pulled the files off the mounted ISO onto a real drive, restarted in safe mode and executed the SETUP.EXE then it would run. Wooo!
So I've now got it installed and it would boot up to the first menu.

Next problem was that selecting "Start Race" (or whatever it is) would ONLY display the "Network race" option. (other options not displayed at ALL)
Made progress on that by installing the 4.1 patch (used the "4.1+win7 hex edit" patch from earlier in the thread.
That then displayed the other options (Champsionship, etc.) but they're all still greyed out - only network is selectable.

Other forums assert that this is because the CD isn't present.
Mounting the ISO doesn't seem to fix that (though I'm not 100% sure - maybe it's being blocked by whatever blocked the install?)
There is a purported "No-CD" crack (http://m0001.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_toca_2.shtml) but that appears to be a 16-bit .COM file - which my 64-bit Win7 machine is incapable of running according to the internet.

Currently I feel stuck.

I've ordered a physical copy of the game off Amazon, but it feels like I'm really close and ought to be able to get it working without that. Grrrr!

Any advice from experienced VOGONers?
(Will try to update when the disc arrives - feel free to message me if I never update)

Reply 28 of 30, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just get an official copy, as you are doing! The pain you've been through is why I have most of my games as official copies, not rips!

Reply 29 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been messing around with the original TOCA under Win7 today. It installs and plays fine by setting setup.exe and tourcars.exe to W95 compatibility mode. But after a few sessions the game will not boot and locks the taskbar hard. It's patched v1.1a [set the patch.exe to W95 mod as well]. If I stumble on a solution I'll post again.

EDIT: stock unpatched version seems stable, though it goes through the loading process twice to actually get started. The patch had been necessary to fix a bug in the championship whereby the game locked as you completed the final round. Maybe it won't be as issue running on a 'modern system'...

EDIT 2: Corrupted game menu colors try compatibility mode 256 colors and also run Win7 'screen resolution' [right mouse click desktop] and leave open during play. Maxed out AA/AF this game looks very nice. Also select 'analog' mode for joy/wheel even if you have a digital control. Old TOCA 1 is fun and more challenging than 2!

I wasn't getting the UI theme music or in-game music off the CD so I made a bin/cue image of the disk and played the game off the image in lieu of the CD - music is restored. I don't like it in-game, but the UI theme is a classic.

EDIT 3: Keeping Win7 'Screen Resolution' window open during play appears to have fixed instability of v11 patch, nice. Will skip even trying v11a since it doesn't appear neccessary

Reply 30 of 30, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick update to say instead of using the DXPrimaryEmulation ACT fix (or the modified DDRAW.dll from the Blitzbasic site above), rather use the NoGDIHWAcceleration Application Compatibility Toolkit fix, against TC2.exe, as it does the same job, but you can see video intros, etc.