VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DarkTemplar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I am a big fan of DOSBOX and D-Fend Reloaded as I grew up in the 90's and it's amazing for me to play all the old games that I used to know from my youth. Most of the DOSBOX are running perfect (e.g. Wing Commander 2, Doom, Commander Keen, Wacky Wheels) and I don't run into any problems.

Though running Windows games which are designed for Windows 3.11, Windows 95 or 98 are a real pain. Most of them crash, display wrong or simply do not start at all on a Windows 7 machine (no matter if it is 32-bit or 64.bit).

Several times now I read solutions like VirtualPC, ReactOS or VMWare.

What I'd like to know now is, if there is a clever way to directly start these old Windows games over the D-Fend Reloaded frontend? Is there way to set up these virtual machines in such a simple way that in the end, I only have to double click my entry in D-Fend Reloaded and the game launches? And even keeping them portable? (I often play these games in my break between work, so having portable packages is really useful)

Thanks already,
best regards

Reply 1 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are probably "clever" ways, though I doubt they are especially pretty.

If I'm not mistaken, there are "portable" versions of VirtualBox. (The main problem with them is that there's not really any way to enable Internet access for the OS running inside the VM, but that's not important for old games anyway.) You could set up a virtual machine that could run Win9x and, on startup, execute a batch file stored on drive "D". Then you could set up different virtual machine profiles for each of your games, each of which will load the same hard drive image with the Win9x installation but a different hard drive image for drive "D". Then you could put each of your games on a different hard drive image, each having a batch file in the root directory that will start the game. Make sense?

Reply 3 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Actually run Windows 3.11 games through DOSBox. Most work fine. You need a legit copy of Windows 3.1x, though, but these come up cheap all the time (I found a couple at the salvation army for € 1,-). Then install Windows 3.11 in DOSBox (see my signature) and just play them 😀

you can also do start batches for each game via "win.com game.exe" or similar 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DarkTemplar wrote:

I guess I understood this so far, but... is this really portable then and without any redundant data?

Sure – there's only one installation of Win9x to worry about.

Windows 3.11 in DOSBox will work too, but of course that's not too helpful if you want to run Win9x games.

Reply 5 of 18, by DarkTemplar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I even have an old copy of Win98 at home so this would work quite well. The other problem though are multiple instances of Win98 in each pack, that's a lot of redundant data. Would it be possible by the way to autostart Windows with a Windows game then? And how hardware-hungry is that?

Reply 6 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You could do it the same way as for Windows 3.11. don't let Windows start automatically and instead have multiple batch files with "win.com game.exe". Again, I could be wrong, though, it's been a while 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DarkTemplar wrote:

The other problem though are multiple instances of Win98 in each pack, that's a lot of redundant data.

I don't think I'm making myself clear. When I said "virtual machine profile", I was referring to some tiny, tiny file that VirtualBox uses to identify the components of a virtual machine. Thus, you can have a single Win98 installation on a single hard drive image and then use that same hard drive image in multiple profiles. (The obvious catch is that of course you would not be able to have two profiles open at the same time.) Does that clear things up?

Reply 9 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

For Windows 3.1 x on Dosbox you don't need an image file but for Windows 95 you need some other emulator/virtualizer. On Dosbox it's not stable nor comfortable to use with CD-Roms

Reply 10 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DarkTemplar wrote:

Is there way to set up these virtual machines in such a simple way that in the end, I only have to double click my entry in D-Fend Reloaded and the game launches?

Having never used D-Fend Reloaded before, I assumed that here you were referring to using D-Fend Reloaded to execute arbitrary commands (such as launching VirtualBox) rather than running something within DOSBox.

Don't run Windows 9x in DOSBox.

Reply 12 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's a highly modified version of Dosbox and is not really supported here.

Reply 14 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you want to hold me to my word, no 😉
The best way to play Windows 3.x games is with Windows 3.x (in Dosbox)

Reply 15 of 18, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Though running Windows games which are designed for Windows 3.11, Windows 95 or 98 are a real pain."

I find the good old killing of explorer sorts a lot of these games out to be honest as far as displaying correctly is concerned

Reply 16 of 18, by DarkTemplar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that most of the 16bit games for windows do not run in an Windows 7 environment (no matter if its 32 or 64bit)

Concerning the topic
I managed to play a lot of Win 3.x games lately but I run into problems when games need Windows 95 or 98. How do people resolve this without using a virtual machine?

Reply 17 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They don't. (or to be more precise, there isn't a general principle that always works)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!