VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DAFFYDAFFY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was chatting with a guy called Meddle on another forim about getting this game running on Win7.
He suggested using a custom dosbox file.
==========================================================================================
His ORIGINAL POST:
You can try this dosbox configuration that Molitor made awhile back for Crusaders: Adventure Out of Time. Its got Windows3.1 installed on it. I did a bit of finagling with it to get a cdrom driver installed. Of course you might have to do more finagling to get Johnny Mnemonic to work but it's worth a shot. No password on the archive and it's only about 10 MB.
=====================================================================================
Re: Johnny Mnemonic install on win7/xp
I managed to get it to work by changing one word in dosbox.conf from,
imgmount D nuovo.cue -t iso
to
imgmount D DRZ-JNM1.cue -t iso

I put the bin +cue in "discs" folder of win31.
Before hand i ran the quicktime install from inside dosbox .
The game loads and an options screen pops up where u can change your keyboard controls and choose bigger screen.
I am surprised it was so easy 😁

So all thanks to Meddle AND Molitor ! ,for their great work . :thanks:

EDIT UPDATE::::::
BAD NEWS!
I started the game as i said before ,and after adjusting my game settings in options box that pops up.
I clicked on "NEW" to start the game and a girl on the screen says "Please insert other disc"
So i went to dosbox.conf and changed it to the name of disc 2 and restarted the game.
The girl says again"please insert other disc",the same thing as with disc 1.
So is there a solution to this?
Could it be to do with some oldskool protection?
I didn't know vogons can help with windows games too(not just dos games)
Any help from someone more knowledgeable than i am would be appreciated,thanks.
It did seem to work a bit too easy at the beginning!

update::
Using Poweriso i copyed the large file file from cd2 ,"MNEMONIC.CIN" into cd1 ,and made sure dosbox.cong refers to cd1 and now the game seems to start and run ok!

The disc2 has two MNEMONIC.CIN files?!!
I don't know how thats possible,but obviously i couldn't copy both,so i took the large one and out that into cd1.

Last edited by DAFFYDAFFY on 2013-11-04, 20:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 3.1 is still under copyright and its distribution is illegal.

You can specify multiple .cue files in a single IMGMOUNT command and switch between them using CTRL-F4. For details, see the DOSBox readme.

Reply 2 of 8, by DAFFYDAFFY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoops,sorry about that ,i'll delete the link.
I own 3 copies of win3.1,but forgot about that.
How can there be two MNEMONIC.CIN files in disc 2?
I don't know how that's possible,but obviously i couldn't copy both,so i took the large one and out that into cd1.
Whether not having that second MNEMONIC.CIN file will affect things,time will tell,i suppose!

Thanks,for the info.on mounting multiple cd s

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DAFFYDAFFY wrote:

How can there be two MNEMONIC.CIN files in disc 2?

I have no idea what led you to that conclusion. Perhaps you could post a screenshot.

If you are looking at the CD in PowerISO or a similar program, it is possible that the same file may be shown as having two different names – one for the Joliet file system and one for the ISO 9660 filesystem, for example – but any operating system will only see one file.

Regardless, you should not have to copy any files from one CD to the other, since you can mount multiple images simultaneously and switch between them.

I should also add that if you don't own your own copy of Johnny Mnemonic, you probably shouldn't be asking about it here. If you downloaded the game from somewhere, it is quite possible the images have been tampered with and may not function correctly, such that further troubleshooting is fruitless.

Reply 4 of 8, by Lightseeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having problems with this game too. Maybe I can post my question here instead of opening a new thread?

I am using Dosbox 0.74 with Windows 3.1. and Quicktime 2 installed. I mount both CDs using the "imgmount" command then go into Windows and start Installation from disc 2. Halfway through the Installation I get the following error message: "Could not open the file named: 'C:\DOS\DOSHELP.HLP'. (C:\DOS is the folder I mount in Dosbox). I can finish the setup though if I press "Ignore".

However, if I start the game using disc 2 (the one I installed from) it only works until the part where I can click on "New" to start the game, then it just crashes and I'm back in Windows.

If I start the game with disc 1 in the drive, I only get the loading screen, then the following error message: "Could not open movie file. Please contact technical support if this problem persists".

I have no idea whether or not the Installation error and this error are connected or not. I'm really clueless. Maybe someone who has this game working could point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by Lightseeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It took me 3 hours trying around but I got it to run 😀

I found this awesome DOSbox mod: http://www.emucr.com/2016/02/dosbox-svn-r3964.html

I'm getting each and every fmv game to run with this. I highly recommed it 😁

Reply 6 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's not actually a mod of Dosbox but a built of Dosbox' SVN. So you are using an SVN built of Dosbox as I recommended in the other thread...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lightseeker wrote:

Yes, I totally suck at this technical stuff. I don't even really know what an SVN is, that's why I called it a Mod 😀 Thanks for your recommendation!

SVN = Subversion

It's a version control system. It allows you to store files and track the changes made as software is developed.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder