Common searches

Windows 98SE update list?

Topic actions

First post, by dfir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi people

I'm just wondering if any of you know of a list of updates that Windows Update would apply to a freshly installed Win98SE at the time that WU stopped support for Win98SE?
I was hoping that someone had taken the time to do make a list and perhaps even host the updates, but I cannot seem to find one - perhaps you guys know of such a site.

I'm just trying to get my Win98SE gaming rig as up-to-date as possible 😀

Best regards
Dfir

Reply 1 of 32, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried some of the unofficial service packs for 98SE that contain these updates, and I wouldn't even bother with them. They just cause problems and slow things down.

Reply 2 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ odd, I always install the unofficial SP and have a very positive experience with it, infact I think it's mandatory to have it!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 32, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As soon as I read the thread title I knew all the answers were going to be about the unofficial stuff... some things never change 🤣

The unofficial patches only add bloat, change the appearence and are simply pointless if you are not one of these people who are desperately trying to run all sorts of modern stuff on such a computer. As far as unofficial patches go, I find that NUSB is all you really need if you have that rig just for gaming.

On topic, I was never able to locate any "all-in-one" update packs authored by MS either. On a quick search this might be the closest thing to it; note that it is said to install bloatware, however. It includes unofficial stuff, but it looks like you can select what to install, maybe going by this list. I did not install this myself and can't guarantee that it does what it's said to do, but it may be worth a try.

It also seems that you can install all of the fixes manually from the MS site going by the second link, but this would be rather tedious.

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-11-06, 00:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 32, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
As soon as I read the thread title I knew all the answers were going to be about the unofficial stuff... some things never chang […]
Show full quote

As soon as I read the thread title I knew all the answers were going to be about the unofficial stuff... some things never change 🤣

The unofficial patches only add bloat, change the appearence and are simply pointless if you are not one of these people who are desperately trying to run all sorts of modern stuff on such a computer. As far as unofficial patches go, I find that NUSB is all you really need if you have that rig just for gaming.

On topic, I was never able to locate any "all-in-one" update packs authored by MS either. On a quick search this might be the closest thing to it; note that it is said to install bloatware, however. It includes unofficial stuff, but it looks like you can select what to install, maybe going by this list. I did not install this myself and can't guarantee that it does what it's said to do, but it may be worth a try.

It also seems that you can install all of the fixes manually from the MS site going by the second link, but this would be rather tedious.

This.

Reply 7 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe some of the unofficial service packs add needless bloat (certainly, I agree that KernelEx is hardly necessary in many situations) but surely not all of them.

Of course, there's just so darn many of the things these days that it's difficult to keep them all straight.

Reply 8 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On my systems the unofficial sp only added stability. And pretty win2k colors.
Especially on a p4 glide build (or something recent) you get lots of crap without the sp installed.
That's my experience.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Come to think of it, didn't the last "official" release of IE6 for Windows 98 introduce that obnoxious bug that caused Explorer windows to lock up when you deleted a file?
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

One of the unofficial service packs almost certainly fixed it.

Reply 10 of 32, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Come to think of it, didn't the last "official" release of IE6 for Windows 98 introduce that obnoxious bug that caused Explorer windows to lock up when you deleted a file?

So this is what has been going on all these years... Remind me never to install IE6 again.

Reply 11 of 32, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There we go again - IE6. I would have never thought about installing that on a retro gaming rig 😀 come to think of it, I was using either IE 5 or 6 on vanilla 98 back then and cannot recall any delete bugs.

Seeing as how the unofficial packs are the first thing that a search on "windows 98 update" yields, something tells me that this is not what the OP had in mind...

Reply 12 of 32, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Not only that, but some of them also fixed 98's memory handling issues with over 512mb RAM installed.

Reply 13 of 32, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in February of 2004, MS released a CDROM with all of the updates for Win98 -> WinXP thru October 2003. I ordered a copy of it back then and saved it.

Sadly, it has never been much use to me because it automatically installs DX9 and IE6 along with its stupid bug with deleting files in Windows Explorer. With the potential fix that Jorpho provided, maybe you can find it to be of some use. I know that Win98SE was supported through July of 2006, so I'm sure there are a couple years worth of updates missing. Perhaps it can be of use though since this is an actual official Microsoft updates rollup disc. I tried to find it available for download so I could link it for you, but I couldn't come up with anything. I've uploaded my copy to my PogoPlug account and you can download it here:

Microsoft Windows Security Update CD - February 2004

While this is technically not a driver disc, maybe somebody would be kind enough to add it to the VOGONS driver library site.

If anybody uses it, I'd be curious to hear of your experiences with it.

Reply 14 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That? It's well-known. It last came up here:
Any interest in a MS Windows Security Update CD?

I'm inclined to believe that IE6 with an unofficial bugfix for this one obnoxious problem is better than doing without IE6 entirely.

Reply 15 of 32, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dfir wrote:
Hi people […]
Show full quote

Hi people

I'm just wondering if any of you know of a list of updates that Windows Update would apply to a freshly installed Win98SE at the time that WU stopped support for Win98SE?
I was hoping that someone had taken the time to do make a list and perhaps even host the updates, but I cannot seem to find one - perhaps you guys know of such a site.

I'm just trying to get my Win98SE gaming rig as up-to-date as possible 😀

Best regards
Dfir

When it comes to a lot of software, I've always taken a 'if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it' approach. There's a few things like y2k and such that are important, but all the security stuff is basically useless since the exploits that used to use the holes have faded as fast as the OS has. Besides, you probably won't even be hooking it up to the Internet, since it would be for retro gaming, so no worries.

Reply 16 of 32, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a membership at hpcfactor.com because members can download archives of all official patches for every retro version of Windows that I care about. Letting somebody else do the work of finding all of those patches is totally worth $10 to me.

Reply 17 of 32, by dfir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

Sorry for the late response, just got back from a vacation with the family.
I'm overwhelmed with all of your responses, don't know where to begin.

I too am not too fond of unofficial packs, as I like my system as "clean" as possible. I gotta admit that I don't many fancy features let alone 3rd party feature adders, so I dont personally have any need for them.

STX: That sounds like a decent site. Never been there before. I guess I'll have a look. 😀

Samir: One of the reasons that I'd like to update my system is because I remember that MS once released a patch that would make Window empty its data-cache and write it to disk before shutting down. I don't that patch is on a newly installed 98 SE (hence I remember it from WU) 😀 Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply 18 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dfir wrote:

One of the reasons that I'd like to update my system is because I remember that MS once released a patch that would make Window empty its data-cache and write it to disk before shutting down.

What else would it do with its data cache? Casually throw it away?

Perhaps you are thinking of the Windows 98SE Shutdown Supplement?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238096

Reply 19 of 32, by dfir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

What else would it do with its data cache? Casually throw it away?

Exactly: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2000/0922windowloss.html
An affected system would often run scandisk everytime the computer had been shutdown.

Jorpho wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking of the Windows 98SE Shutdown Supplement?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238096

That might be the one, i'll have a look, thanks 😀