VOGONS

Common searches

Unified for TNT2 M64?

Topic actions

First post, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found my very old PC, took it out from the attic and successfully made it run. To my surprise I found out it has an old Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 graphics card, so I tried to look up for it's drivers. I've heard it's different version, 3D Blaster TNT2 Ultra, had drivers with software which could run games with Glide API and that it was possible to run it on other TNT2 versions. Does anyone know anything about this?

Reply 2 of 20, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The unified driver worked fine on my 16Mb TNT back in the day, at least with Carmageddon II.
It's funny how memory works, I clearly remember that Carmageddon II had fog in 3dfx mode when using this driver on the TNT, but I can't remember if I tried any other titles.

Reply 3 of 20, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh thank you so much. 😁 I'll download it and say later if it works for me. I'll just ask one, probably stupid question, just to be sure. These should obviously be installed instead of any other graphics drivers, like for example nvidia's original ones, yes?

Reply 5 of 20, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I'm so sorry, I forgot to answer to that topic and it wasn't until just now when I checked this thread to continue my problem. I wonder if I should make a new thread, because this one is quite old already, but I can't find anything about it in FAQ.

Anyway, I've installed unified120, but when asked to reset and the OS loaded again, it started looking for a driver for my graphics card and finally installed a default one instead of that from unified. Unified drivers installed so quick I don't even know where it's files were installed, so I cannot choose them manually. Can someone help me on that?

And 🤣, haven't been using W98 for such a long time, installing drivers was so different back then. And how easy it is to break your Windows!

Reply 8 of 20, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Davros - yeah, that's the site I got unified120 from. So you say I should install original drivers for m64 and then install unified? I can do that, though I cannot find proper drivers from that era. Lately overly slow google doesn't seem to help much.

I found THESE drivers. Do you think they are ok to start with?

swaaye - I'll let you know when I get them to work. 😁

Reply 9 of 20, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I cant read chinese
you can get drivers from nvidia
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk (or your local nvidia website)

for product type select Legacy

ps: those gainward drivers seem fine

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 20, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see much point in Unified...it's just another Glide wrapper (I don't even remember if there was anything special about it, so there probably wasn't). You're probably better off with nGlide and I'd bet it also has higher compatibility.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 12 of 20, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

would nglide run on a tnt m64 ?

nGlide isn't to picky about graphics hardware I think, but it requires a fairly modern CPU. It's designed to play Glide games on modern PC's. If you're after specifically playing Glide games on an old system and specifically on the TNT2, then I don't think nGlide is of much use at all.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 13 of 20, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

I don't see much point in Unified...it's just another Glide wrapper (I don't even remember if there was anything special about it, so there probably wasn't). You're probably better off with nGlide and I'd bet it also has higher compatibility.

I would rather like to use something that's more compatible with TNT2. I have an old PC with Windows 98 and would like to make it good for old games.

Anyway, installed NVIDIA drivers and then TNT2 Unified drivers, but I cannot see any difference. TOMB RAIDER crashes on VOODOO patch while on 3DFX it looks exactly the same as in SOFTWARE.
Redguard doesn't run at all if I use 3DFX.
Does anyone know a game which works well with Unified? So I can test if it actually installs at all?

Reply 16 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try dgvoodoo 1 (glide to d3d7/d3d9) or Zeckensack (glide to OGL)
IIRC Nglide is glide to d3d9 only

No one here cares about Unified.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 20, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So there's noone who tried using it or it's simply not worth it?

I have managed to run wiz demo that apparently uses a Windows version of 3dfx and it seems to work okay. Graphics is crisp and neat there. On the other hand though when I try to play Unreal Gold it shows artifacts. Curiously enough artifacts show only when playing that particular game. Tried playing Tomb Raider Chronicles with its D3D support and it works okay, no artifacts, so I guess it's not because of GPU? Weird.

Reply 19 of 20, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, you don't understand me. I said D3D version of Unreal breaks my PC, while TR Chronicles(also D3D) doesn't. I don't know why.

Actually now I see Unreal GOLD breaks my PC no matter what settings I use.