VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RanCorX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

has anyone got sote working on a new system either via a virtual machine or with patches of some sort?

on windows 8 x64 it runs in a window, too fast and missing the ship and various other models.

the only way I've been able to run it is on VMware on xp with a ddraw wrapper that only runs it in software, 9-15fps, 23fps when looking at nothing.

been able to play the phantom menace which works full speed on VMware in xp with d3d acceleration. just can't find a solution to play sote, other than an old pc which I don't have or want.

I also can't play x-wing alliance in hardware, it only runs in software. anyone know if it's possible to play it in hardware?

I have a hd3850.

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

X-Wing Alliance is most likely a video driver/hardware issue since D3D worked on 7 64bit with a XPS M1330 back when I tested the demo in 2010.

Intel driver: 15.12.75.4.64.1930
Nvidia driver: 8.17.11.9581

Most likely the game was using the Intel chipset.

It also worked back in 2008:

Tested 2-16-2008

Supports 3D sound

D3D works fine.

Tested on Dell Latitude D630 with 965 chipset.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by RanCorX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i did read that thread, but didn't bother with the wrapper as i'd already tried it when it was posted on another forum so didn't expect it to work. but obviously i tried an older release as it now plays very well in software mode via xp/vmware now. not 100% speed but it's not a slide show.

as for xwa, i've downloaded the relevant patches and the upgrade pack which is meant to restore 3d support to a working condition.

Reply 5 of 6, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

X-Wing Alliance works very well with acceleration in Wine albeit with the dinput patch from an earlier version of wine. Been playing with it since i saw this thread and been fine for the last 3 hours or so

Reply 6 of 6, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even if you get X-Wing Alliance installed on a Windows 7 machine, chances are the graphics will be distorted during gameplay making it unplayable. The only way I have been able to get X-Wing Alliance working again was on a Windows 9x machine with a nvidia 5 series and below. I still play this game monthly.