VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to use Alchemy with Bloodrayne. The game claims to support EAX 3 from what I can tell, and I'd like to hear it. Unfortunately whenever I set up Alchemy, the game goes completely mute other than the videos it plays sometimes. Some web searching reveals that this may have happened to people with XP and Audigy too. One person mentioned a need to run stereo instead of 5.1 (I've tried both).

Anyone else try this?

Reply 2 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I can try with an Audigy 2 ZS and Windows XP if you'd like!

Go for it. Then I don't have to set up a box with XP. 😁. I imagine it will work that way though since that will be fairly period correct. See if 5.1 output mutes it.

I have this game on Xbox too and on there it does nice Dolby Digital 5.1 with effects.

Reply 4 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't resist messing with this more..... 😎

-works with X-Fi Titanium on XP. Probably other X-Fi cards too. X-Fi Support Pack 2.5.
-works with Audigy 2 via Alchemy on 7x64. Audigy Support Pack 4.5.
-does not work with X-Fi Titanium on 7x64. Using official Creative downloads.
-does not work with X-Fi MB3 on 8x64. Same muteness as with X-Fi Titanium on 7x64.

Need to try X-Fi Support Pack 2.5 with 7x64. Also might need to look at different Alchemy versions specifically.

The EAX 3 support sounds really good through headphones! Impressive!

Reply 5 of 15, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have neither 1 nor 2, both are on my Steam wishlist and hoping to get them when the next sale comes around.

So once I have them I can test as well, have an X-Fi Titanium card with Win 7-x64 bit.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 6 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:

I have neither 1 nor 2, both are on my Steam wishlist and hoping to get them when the next sale comes around.

So once I have them I can test as well, have an X-Fi Titanium card with Win 7-x64 bit.

I got 1 from GOG. It is only $6 there right now.

Reply 7 of 15, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:

I got 1 from GOG. It is only $6 there right now.

Yes I've seen that but alas, I'm no longer able to use my credit cards there and I refuse to use Paypal.

I will give Valve my money instead.

Reply 10 of 15, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:
I has eax in win7 x64 x-fi xtreme gamer http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6418/kit7.jpg […]
Show full quote

I has eax in win7 x64
x-fi xtreme gamer
kit7.jpg

I've never checked that Disable Direct Music box myself, does this help or only with certain games ?

Reply 12 of 15, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

No idea I play very few games with music
If your a soldier in a battle you dont have an orchestra following you

True, but you know what, that would be awesome, just like in that Family Guy episode where Peter had his own tune when he walked around the place 😁

Reply 13 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I too got the game working with Alchemy + X-Fi + 7x64 now.

I still can not get sound from X-Fi MB3 + Alchemy though. It works with various other old games that use EAX 3. No idea what's going on. The dsoundlog.txt says the Creative software 3D library is in use, but the game is simply mute. I even tried the Alchemy dsound.dll from my machine with the Audigy that works.

Reply 14 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The disable directmusic box really just prevents games from using direct music: Hitman, Unreal 2, Alien vs. Predator 2, No One Lives Forever (I think...? please correct me otherwise) use it. There are several other games that use it too, I'm not sure why that box exists though, unless ALchemy brutally butchers the API to the point of crashing or non working state.

Does anyone know what the ALLicesning thing does? Since it always pops up when you use ALchemy on anything it wont surprise me if for some reason that's what's causing swaaye's problem. The creator of the x-fi support pack once included a ALchemy without the licensing component but that was the day that caused the massive PR disaster for Creative when they confronted the third party driver author about it...

I'd try messing with the buffer settings to see if it'll eventually work, perhaps the game can't buffer it's audio properly so AL just is unable to receive any input properly from the game itself. (I've had to do that numerous times trying to get Hardware OpenAL to work in winamp)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 15 of 15, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

The disable directmusic box really just prevents games from using direct music: Hitman, Unreal 2, Alien vs. Predator 2, No One Lives Forever (I think...? please correct me otherwise) use it. There are several other games that use it too, I'm not sure why that box exists though, unless ALchemy brutally butchers the API to the point of crashing or non working state....snippage

I was messing about with the Men of War today as this has a few sound settings like Directsound and Directsound + EAX.

I could not get either option to work if I had the Disable Directmusic box checked.

In fact I have to play around with the buffer and delay settings some more as I get botched audio at the defaults.

This game series seems to work best with DEFAULT or forced 5.1 on my gaming rig.