VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the silly idea to see if Hellbender's multiplayer actually worked and when I was trying it with my boyfriend I noticed that... it is VERY VERY laggy looking.

Sure you look like you're moving smoothly but on the other persons side you move at a rate comparable to 5 FPS.

has anyone else tried this before (preferably on old machines) and had this happen? Did this also happen in Terminal Velocity?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 2, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried multiplayer in Terminal Velocity at the time and I don't remember any lag. I didn't have much experience with multiplayer games then. Definitely fun, though.
Maybe it depends on your setup? (Windows 9x or newer OS? Actual hardware, DOSBox, virtualized? Software Firewall?)

I could imagine if you select Internet TCP/IP that the program might throttle the packets so you could still play over a modem connection. After all the game is from 1996 so it couldn't really assume faster internet speeds.

Reply 2 of 2, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firewalls are turned off and since IPX doesn't exist we had to use DirectPlay TCP/IP. This is on Windows 7 x64 (edition doesn't matter here) as the game runs natively in windows with no issues even to this very day.

Throttling sounds like a interesting theory, next time I try this with my boyfriend we should run wireshark to see if that is the case.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων