VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to someone in my thread for finding a working Gunmetal demo.

Though this game is a absolute pain to get working right... It runs way too fast, and underclocking my CPU only let's me drop to 800 MHz and even still it's too fast. nGlide with v-sync on is too fast still. Running CPU Grabber does not slow the game down internally as I thought it might. (which is how I even was able to play I76 properly on a modern system)

The game is actually ticking faster than the drawing rate. EmulateSlowCPU ACT fix does absolutely nothing. Am I SOL to run the native win32 version of this game? Because DosBOX runs it *WAY* too slow...

(Gunmetal can run both in pure DOS and under win32 via DirectX so yes technically this is a windows game)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's your CPU? If CPU Grabber doesn't work, maybe WinThrottle will.

Also, there's no patch for the game, is there? (I seem to recall Syberia ran way too quickly before it was patched.)

Reply 2 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the fully patched demo, I can't run Glide without the patch.

And my CPU is 2.60 GHz quadcore AMD Phenom 2.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 13, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the game seems to use clock for timing, which is just a wrapper around GetLocalTime()

the game's "timer thread" sleeps for 11ms minus how far behind it is...
so it would seem that if the cpu could keep up then the game would update 90 times per second

I think the fix would be to bump the 11ms up to somewhere between 16-33 with a hex-editor
for that v1.31 demo the file offsets would be 00006A55 and 00006A5F

Reply 4 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow this works perfectly, but now some animated textures seem to not animate no longer.

EDIT: Nevermind forgot to apply my ACT fixes to the game as well.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, maybe someone will be so kind and will fix Cybergladiators? Symptoms are same.

Attachments

• Filename
    CYBER.7z
    File size
    117.88 KiB
    Downloads
    115 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going underwater totally goes weird in Glide mode in Gunmetal so I'm going to go make a post at nGlide forums when I get enough data on this.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 13, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cybergladiators?

I'll find the file offsets tomorrow. ( edit: done Re: CyberGladiators Xp )
I didn't post them before because I doubt anyone wanted the demo exe offset (which was all I had)
Also had to use ddwrapper with Force Direct Draw Emulation + Fake Vsync to get Cyber Gladiators running

Last edited by aqrit on 2014-02-07, 22:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Windows Xp Sp3 as the test OS.
The game is working with the nGlide 1.02 and the EmulateSlowCPU ACT fix. Except there is no intro movie and it is too fast...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm starting to run into hardfreezes... I dunno' if this is related to the game's timer though. (I would hope not... Everything is running exactly how it should with this modification in place)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 13, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

since I'm lazy and don't have account over at http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=663
and you both posted in that thread...

pandemonium 2 tries for 38 fps
I assume... the correct game speed should be 30 fps?
for the demo... at file offset 0x000162DB write 0x21 using a hex-editor

Reply 11 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone else actually play through the temple map without it locking up? It keeps locking up intermittently in that specific level and I have no idea why...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to double post bump but I just got a legitiment retail copy second hand off someone from eBay.

The disc was v1.0 so the v1.0 -> v1.36 patch worked.

The same nGlide bugs are happening here as on the demo. But now I need to figure out where the games timer values are, as the game is running way to quickly on Windows.

Also it's worth mentioning that the INSTALL.EXE is broken on the disc. So I cannot install this under MS-DOS. The patch utility is a PE executable and will only execute under Win32... What a mess right?

EDIT: I managed to find it on my own, so now I got GunDX in retail running at the correct "speed" but this is not a perfect fix as there are still some timing related issues messing up some parts of the game.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 13 of 13, by rodrig1989

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aqrit wrote:
the game seems to use clock for timing, which is just a wrapper around GetLocalTime() […]
Show full quote

the game seems to use clock for timing, which is just a wrapper around GetLocalTime()

the game's "timer thread" sleeps for 11ms minus how far behind it is...
so it would seem that if the cpu could keep up then the game would update 90 times per second

I think the fix would be to bump the 11ms up to somewhere between 16-33 with a hex-editor
for that v1.31 demo the file offsets would be 00006A55 and 00006A5F

hello, my name is rodrigo, i'm from colombia, sorry for my english is very bad.
i have a question, how do you discover or really sure about this patch for gunmetal ?
i have problems with sound. the sound music stutters when i set the correct speed of the game.
how i can see the frame rate of the game and smooth sound sync?
thanks in advance