Lego island
Astrorock
Chaos island
Warcraft
Mech warrior 2
The ultimate doom for windows 95
Doom II for windows 95
SW: Dark Forces windows 95/98

I set up a system with windows 98 and everything works perfectly except the Dooms and dark forces

For the dooms I get all the sounds except the gun sound effects and for dark forces I get the sound effects but not the music.

I originally had a startech.com PCI sound card for this setup. Then I got an Ensoniq AudioPCI hoping it would be better for the sound effects in doom and dark forces but it won't work at all. I get no sound. I thibk it may be incompatible with my motherboard. It's an asus A7S333.

Getting an ISA sound card isn't an option because I have no ISA slots.

Does anyone know how to get these games to be fully functional? I would rather not use dosbox it like the authenticity of a non emulated/non virtual setup.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom95 uses DirectSound for the audio, so maybe try running dxdiag (included with DirectX 6 and later) and turning the sound acceleration down a notch or two and see if that makes a difference.

Remember that PCI sound cards will always be the most finicky with DOS games, I don't know what's up with Dark Forces as I haven't tried an AudioPCI with that game yet. Did you try setting it up as A Sound Blaster Pro instead of a 16?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by xTamx420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get my AudioPCI to do anything. It won't seem to detect it. My newer sound card from startech was what I got partial sound functionality from. I tried many different sound configs for that one with no luck.

Reply 3 of 3, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With regard to Dark Forces, you might consider applying the hack mentioned in the Star Wars: Dark Forces
Frequently Asked Questions List:

http://members.shaw.ca/kloepel/DarkForces/dfhead.html

11.2 Help with sound cards
SETUP doesn't recognize the IRQs of some cards correctly. You can solve this problem by patching the IMUSE.INI file. Using a disk editor, you'll find the internal names (e.g. SBCLONE.WDR (SoundBlaster compatible), SB16.WDR (SoundBlaster 16) or SBPRO.WDR (SoundBlaster Pro)). With an offset of 0Eh/0Fh bytes from the first character of the name, you find the 2-byte hexadecimal port number. The interrupt channel can be found at offset 12h, and the DMA channel is located at offset 16h. So you can easily patch the port/DMA/IRQ combination you need, even if it's not offered by SETUP.

So as long as you can determine what port number, IRQ and DMA channel your card uses for DOS compatibility, odds are you can set it. Remember to back up a copy of the IMUSE.INI file before you attempt to change it.

Try General MIDI for the music once you get the sound effects working on the AudioPCI.