VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am a huge fan of X-Wing Alliance and Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy. I've known you could play JO/JA on triple monitors but I never knew X-Wing Alliance was possible. That has lit a spark under my a@@! What are some recommendations for a video card solution? Can it be in Windows 98 or will I have to go up to Windows XP? Will a triple monitor setup with these games require a AthlonXP or greater? Cheers!

Reply 1 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need a modern card amd 5000 series or latter or nvidia 600 series or later
plus vista or later
you can USE softTH (software tripplehead) with certain dx 8 and 9 games but you require 2 cards (same maker and must use the same driver)
http://www.kegetys.fi/SoftTH/

or you can buy a matrox triplehead2go and use almost any card but its not cheap but does support xp
ps: all 3 monitors need to be the same res and refresh (not with matrox th2go)

Last edited by Davros on 2014-03-10, 16:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

be aware
hardware acceleration in xwing doesnt work for everyone
no luck with amd 6950 catalyst 13.4 win 7
ja wont work with softth as its opengl

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 8, by FBK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I uploaded a video-manual for playing XWA in 3 monitors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJHTatfFeA

If you are using an ATI video card, you must use catalyst versión 13.1 or previous, if not the game will not work properly.

I hope this can help you

Reply 4 of 8, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a Matrox Parhelia 128MB. I have 3 LCDs, all same resolution. I've been thus far unable to get any games to properly work with the 3 LCDs. The games I am trying are Jedi Outcast and X-Wing Alliance. With X-Wing Alliance, I followed the instructions. Edited the XWINGALLIANCE.EXE and config.cfg. When I start the game I get the following error: DirectDraw Int FAILED at 2. In the Matrox software, I am using the most current drivers.

Reply 5 of 8, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After some more googling, I have been able to get Jedi Outcast working on all 3 monitors. Had to go down to Matrox PowerDesk HF. I am experiencing some color issues between the monitors. The most difference is between the far left monitor compared to the next 2. The models are as follows from left to right: HP 1706, HP 1706, HP 1702. I'm going to test a different VGA cable and/or DVI-VGA Adapter.

e5lpno.jpg

EDIT: SUCCESS!

qs6urs.jpg

If anyone has any other games they would like for me to try. Let me know.

Reply 7 of 8, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far I got the following games working. X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Outcast & Academy, Unreal Tournament 2003, and Battlefield Vietnam. The 3 monitors feel very much gimicky. I'm still perfecting settings in the newer games, but even if everything was working, still gimicky. I'll take some videos today of the games.

UPDATE 01: Semi-Permanent Spot
5b4rd3.jpg
11cf4eu.jpg
s5wgm1.jpg
2llli11.jpg
33vp3l1.jpg

Reply 8 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to provide both some input on other games to try, and other options:

- SoftTH does NOT require the cards to be from the same maker, use the same driver, etc. They just have to be supported under whatever version of Windows you're using with valid drivers (e.g. any valid configuration for your OS and hardware that allows multiple cards to have multiple monitors, it can use in theory use), and support DirectX; the "slave" card really doesn't need to be anything spectacular (because it isn't doing much of anything). That said, you should thick twice about setting up a configuration with an AGP + PCI (or god forbid a PCI + PCI setup) because the bandwidth (specifically PCI) will likely result in a severe bandwidth and performance impact. With PCIe things work very well.

Any resolution/refresh/color-depth/etc are entirely possible within SoftTH (especially 2.x with the "config tool" which makes life easier, but requires WDDM). Specific game support can be hit and miss, personally I've found it takes some work overall. In many cases specifying a lower transport resolution and bit-depth for the "side" monitors will improve performance dramatically.

- The Matrox TH2Go REQUIRES all monitors to at least be set to a common resolution, color depth, and refresh, however they don't have to be the same model (whether or not the end result is visually satisfying is up to you (e.g. running two 1920x1200 monitors at 1280x1024 + 1 1280x1024 monitor; the software/hardware side will do that, but you might not like how it looks - SoftTH is currently the only solution that would let you run them at different resolutions). It also has other restrictions on maximum resolution support, multi-module support, etc based on your videocard (use the compatibility wizard on Matrox's site if you're looking at one of these - it doesn't treat all host computers as equals).

- Eyefinity and Vision Surround have similar constraints to TH2Go but the cards that support them can also run SoftTH (you can actually run SoftTH for dual-monitor output too; usually FOV or UI gets borked because the resulting resolution is so odd).

- Other games that work well in "surround gaming" IME include FarCry, Empire Earth, The Sims, Oblivion, and Total Annihilation. afaik the Parhelia cannot run Oblivion because it doesn't support PS2.0.

- You might check WSGF for specific titles you're playing and see if they have FOV patches/hacks available for them - usually it can resolve UI stretching/distortion issues (I vaguely remember that was/is a blanket widescreen/multiscreen fixer app out there, and it was free, but its name escapes me).

- For the color differences between monitors, you can get monitor calibration "devices" (they're a real thing, they don't cost as much as you'd think, but certainly more than you'd hope) that will handle multi-monitor setups and try to get everything pretty much aligned within the ability of the monitors present. Ideally you'd have the same or similar models if you want to color calibrate them all together.

- For setting up the Windows desktop you might consider a third-party application like DisplayFusion; it can help a multi-monitor system out with config (and there is a free version that does most of the basic features). One other thing is that if you go with SoftTH you can use whatever the card's drivers include - you can very much have nView and HydraVision installed on the same machine at the same time without much problem.