VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The computer I'm running it on is a Pentium 3 at 500 Mhz (Unreal reports it as being around 487 something MHz though), Voodoo 2 4MB PCI in SLI configuration, and 128 MB of RAM and finally a Geforce 3 for anything else that isn't Glide related.

I'm using the FastVoodoo2 4.6 drivers.

GunDX when it tries to grab a Glide context is doing something really weird... It'll work the first time but if the game crashes or you otherwise exit the following happens:

• Trying to shutdown or restart the computer will jam the CPU.
  • Trying to re run GunDX will generate a invalid page fault and jam the CPU.
  • Trying to run ANYTHING that tries to use the Voodoo 2 cards will crash in a similar fashion and jam the CPU.

And I've managed to crash the game in very obscure ways. Trying to fight two K-V floorsweepers at the same time will cause a invalid page fault, and of course the whole system is unstable from there on and the only way to turn your PC off is to literally hit the switch.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess no one has any clues to what might be wrong... It's worth mentioning that even just using plain DirectDraw causes system instability all the same. The game still crashes in the same exact spots under windows, booting in MS-DOS mode with just HIHMEM.SYS loaded and all relevant drivers loaded high results in the game hardly crashing if at all.

So I take it this game is more for MS-DOS than windows even though they have the engine running in DirectX!?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 3, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The trouble is - this game is very rare. So - no tests for you.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 3 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the Demo does the exact same thing, and I'm even mirroring the demo on my dropbox

Debugging this game is a pain in the ass because it runs full screen all the time, and the windower things like DxWnd, D3DWindower tend to screw up the games timing pathway and other things (DxWnd causes the hue to be reversed, i.e. instead of RGB it's BGR) the fact it runs so stable under MS-DOS I've since played and beaten the game under that just fine, but playing the DOS version online is near impossible as it's IPX\Modem\Serial only. And while DirectPlay isn't much better I've proven and someone else on Youtube has proven that it works.

― Κυνικός Δράκων