VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently, after years of putting up with lags, I've decided to improve the experience of playing one of my favorite games: Dethkarz.

Dethkarz works on Windows 7. The only thing is, it doesn't work smoothly. My desktop PC barely manages to keep gameplay smooth (on reduced visibility setting, and there are still lags in some spots) while my netbook can't handle it at all.

It's a 1998 game which can run on either Directx 6 or Glide.

So, in attempt to fix the problem, I've installed zeckensack's Glide wrapper. On my netbook it fixes the issue 100% as the game is now smooth and looks just as lovely as on Directx. The thing is, my netbook has the maximum 4:3 resolution of 1024x768, which is the maximum available resolution of the game when running on Glide. So on the netbook everything fits nicely.

With my desktop, however, I need a 4:3 resolution of 1280x960 in order for the game to fit nicely, which is only possible with Directx, on which the game lags. Fortunately, the Glide wrapper comes with the option to upscale resolutions. So if I turn that option on and select 640x480 in the game, I effectively get 1280x960, which makes everything sharp again. But, it's still an upscaled small resolution so the HUD is huge and is rather distracting.

So, I figured that if there was a way of making the game run smooth on Directx, there would be no problem at all. The way I see it, if there was some kind of a directx6-to-directx9 wrapper, I could pull it off. Anyone heard of such a thing by any chance?

Anyone got any other ideas?

Reply 2 of 6, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There might be a bit of a misunderstanding here since my problem wasn't performance, it was resolution.

Still though, nGlide did turn out to be the fix.

When I forced high resolutions with zeckensack's Glide wrapper, I could only choose 640x480 since only that one, after upscaling, added up to 1280x960. Higher resolutions resulted in the game being stretched off my screen, because my screen is too small for those resolutions.

In nGlide, no matter which resolution I pick in the game, it's still scaled to the exact one I want. So I set nGlide to force 1280x960 and set Dethkarz to 1024x768 which means I am now running the game in the proper resolution for my screen and the HUD is no longer huge.

Thank you!

Reply 3 of 6, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yasashii wrote:
There might be a bit of a misunderstanding here since my problem wasn't performance, it was resolution. […]
Show full quote

There might be a bit of a misunderstanding here since my problem wasn't performance, it was resolution.

Still though, nGlide did turn out to be the fix.

When I forced high resolutions with zeckensack's Glide wrapper, I could only choose 640x480 since only that one, after upscaling, added up to 1280x960. Higher resolutions resulted in the game being stretched off my screen, because my screen is too small for those resolutions.

In nGlide, no matter which resolution I pick in the game, it's still scaled to the exact one I want. So I set nGlide to force 1280x960 and set Dethkarz to 1024x768 which means I am now running the game in the proper resolution for my screen and the HUD is no longer huge.

Thank you!

I just install the game and use the Direct3D driver built-in to the game. Looks just as good and is butter smooth. I have the European version which would not run in 64-bit Windows so I found an exe that allows the game to run in Windows 7 64. One of my all time favorite battle racers. Split/Second also called Split/Second Velocity being another arcade racer for Windows that I just can't get enough of.

Reply 4 of 6, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great game! I can play this game under Windows 7 x64 at 1920x1080 using dgVoodoo2_53 and it's perfectly smooth, but it would be even better if someone could come up with a aspect ratio hack as widescreen is stretched.