VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying different Glide wrappers and one of the ones I've tried is psVoodoo. I haven't had much luck with it. I imagine that possibly some of the settings might have an effect on how it works, but whenever I try to run the configuration program, I just get a box that says there was an error executing the program (5).

I'm using XP Pro, SP3. Does the configuration program need Win7/8?

Reply 2 of 2, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

The config program doesn't work on Windows 7 either.

I even went back and tried version 0.12, which is the only other version I could find and that one doesn't work either.

leileilol wrote:

It is the only glide wrapper i've had luck using with eFX though

I was trying to use it with the Daum SVN build of DOSBox in order to run the 3DFX version of Tomb Raider. However when I run the game, I never get the 3DFX logo, the main menu is black with an occasional flicker from the rotating passport and if I blindly start the game, all I can see is an improperly colored Lara. The rest of the screen is black.

I tried several other wrappers with varying results;

eVoodoo - Caused my firewall to alert me that DOSBox wanted to make an outgoing connection. Main menu is black, but at least you can more or less see the objects. Game works, but is quite dark and there are visible texture seams everywhere.

Zeckensack - Has very visible texture seams everywhere.

nGlide - Occasionally has visible texture seams and doesn't render the pause menu correctly. Pressing F3 gets rid of the seams, but then all the objects have boxes around them.

OpenGlide - Seemed to work great at first, and the texture seams vanished when I turned off mimapping in the INI file, but occasionally, some objects show through others. None of the options seemed to fix this.

dgVoodoo 1.5 Beta 2- This is what I've been using. Often, depending on the angle, using the look button or when watching the mini-cutscenes showing the effect of throwing a switch, there are white outlines around everything. Pressing F3 gets rid of them, but then texture seams start to show up again. You can also see some grid lines in the surface of water occasionally. I tried using version 1.4, but it seems to crash if you disable mipmapping, which is required to get rid of most of the seams. I also noticed the trapdoor panels disappearing at certain angles in the City of Khamoon level.

I briefly tested dgVoodoo 2.3 on a friend's system and it seemed to work great with only an occasional graphical oddity, but unfortunately it requires DirectX 11. 🙁