HALF-LIFE

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 68, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:

On the other hand, it's got problems with Quake III; it runs slow no matter what (lowest settings+16bit all @640x480 manage 30fps). .

thats about right

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 65 of 68, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I tried that. The problem is that they changed all the Half-Life/Opposing Force console commands in Blue Shift and I don't know the new ones.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 66 of 68, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

When I tried A3D on my Vortex2 it sounded incredibly muffled and horrible in Uplink. Though I've read they made some changes to it in a later patch.

A3D on Live! is just a software emulation of 1.x AFAIK which a lot of sound cards have. The game uses 2.0 though so in theory an Aureal card should be better at that positioning stuff. Too bad A3D in practice has nasty clicks and pops going on which make it not all that enjoyable when using headphones.

After much discussion with an amazing guy (if you love A3D you'd have better get in touch with him) I would say 2041 vortex drivers with 2.25 A3D api is the best combination for HL

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 68 of 68, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can tailor the A3D sound to your liking with console commands.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021226223405/htt … hhelp/gm_hl.htm

The page also mentions the muffled sounds:

Several people reported problems with muffled sounds when Half-Life was first released. If you are encountering this problem, make sure you are using the latest A3D Drivers. If they do not help you, you can also adjust the console variables to these values:

s_distance 18
s_2dvolume 0.88
s_verbwet 0.15
s_min_distance 8
s_refgain 0.34