Common searches

HALF-LIFE

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 68, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Half-Life is a great game, and also has many fantastic free addons made by fans (such as USS Darkstar, the They Hunger trilogy, Azure Sheep, etc, from www.moddb.com), and you really should play the fantastic first official addon, Opposing Force. The other official addon, Blue Shift, isn't much good at all, being very short, addng nothing of interest, and being just all-round disappointing. Azure Sheep is actually based on almost the same premise as Blue Shift, but is a thousand times better, and is free.

Reply 23 of 68, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

Also MiniGL crashes when the resolution is set to >1024x768.

Understandably, since that particularly MiniGL driver was specifically designed for Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo2.

Later Banshee drivers don't have to use it 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So if I have a high resolution monitor, the better option would be a Geforce at 1600 x 1200 with OpenGL?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 68, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote:

The other official addon, Blue Shift, isn't much good at all, being very short, addng nothing of interest, and being just all-round disappointing.

The only thing that disappointed me about Blue Shift was how short it was. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Of course, I also liked the Xen levels of Half-Life while most people seem to hate them.

Reply 26 of 68, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome game and you're in for a real treat. I originally played it on a P4-2.4/Voodoo5 and it was very playable but occasionally got sluggish in massive energy-weapon fights. When I upgraded to a 9700pro/128mb it ran smooth as silk at 1280 IIRC. I ran it on the final official patch.

The final level is brutal...

Reply 28 of 68, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you play Black Mesa instead you don't have to worry about the shitty Xen level.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 29 of 68, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nihilanth can be killed quickly. There is a easy way to do this. 😎

Black Mesa is still unfinished. It's a fine game, but rather overrated.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 30 of 68, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

If you play Black Mesa instead you don't have to worry about the shitty Xen level.

The thing I liked about the Xen levels is that they're environments that you won't find in the real world. Granted, you probably won't be running around a huge, underground base in real life, but 99% of it still looks like any other real-life building. I like that games can take me to new and exotic alien worlds that don't exist in reality.

Reply 31 of 68, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm with you there. I can't stand real-world location in games unless there is something different about it. Ex: Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life.

Still didn't like Xen tho. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 32 of 68, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

So if I have a high resolution monitor, the better option would be a Geforce at 1600 x 1200 with OpenGL?

Direct3D for overbrights. HL's OpenGL support clamps that for legacy compatibility.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 34 of 68, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Direct3D for overbrights. HL's OpenGL support clamps that for legacy compatibility.

What are "overbrights", please?

Reply 35 of 68, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote:

Doubled lightmap sampling which causes light samples above full bright to appear much brighter. This can give out more volumnous appearances of light.

This feature goes back to Quake v1.00 starting July 1996. It wasn't implemented in GLQuake (clamped) and Quake2's GL renderer (that shifted darker) but it returned in Quake3.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 36 of 68, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

Doubled lightmap sampling which causes light samples above full bright to appear much brighter. This can give out more volumnous appearances of light.

This feature goes back to Quake v1.00 starting July 1996. It wasn't implemented in GLQuake (clamped) and Quake2's GL renderer (that shifted darker) but it returned in Quake3.

I see, thanks.

Reply 38 of 68, by Holering

User metadata

I'm also playing Half Life ( 98se); and Opposing Force. Only patched it with Blueshift-Opposing Force CD's included patch (not using highdef package). Game doesn't run good with Opengl on my end (pcx5750 with unofficial 82.69 drivers has focus and slowdown issues with opengl). Direct3D runs a treat however (1280x960 and 8x anisotropic filtering) and using A3D+EAX as well (live! value with WDM drivers).

Reply 39 of 68, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I tried A3D on my Vortex2 it sounded incredibly muffled and horrible in Uplink. Though I've read they made some changes to it in a later patch.

A3D on Live! is just a software emulation of 1.x AFAIK which a lot of sound cards have. The game uses 2.0 though so in theory an Aureal card should be better at that positioning stuff. Too bad A3D in practice has nasty clicks and pops going on which make it not all that enjoyable when using headphones.