VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having a hell of a time getting this game to run properly. What's weird is back in the day I ran it on W98se without too much trouble so long as the resolution/color depth was set at 640/8-bit. My save games date from 1998 and 2003. But now just frustration even on period gear:

W95a is the only OS that it seems to be stable on. But it's a tad sluggish on a 486-dx66 so I tried others:

W95 OSR2/dx 8.0a: kinda runs initially but CTD on subsequent tries
W98 SE/dx 9.0c: runs initially but will not allow saves/loads/option menu etc., then CTD on subsequent tries

Anyone know any tricks?

Reply 1 of 6, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game is very fussy and appears to need a system set up "just so".

The W95a/486 system was a very clean recent install, and didn't have Directx installed. Armed & Delirious installs Dx3, and the game ran without issue. A little sluggish on the 486/2mb Cirrus Logic set up, but okay.

I had free time so took a shot on another W95 rig with a recent but not "minty fresh" W95osr2.5 install. After imaging the OS, I did a complete fresh W95osr2.5 install, including Dx8a, and the game ran okay. The only issue: in-game you must use key strokes to load/save/inventory/options because the on-screen UI doesn't respond. Since it responds on the W95a/Dx3 setup it seems W95a/b or Dx related. I assume the same would apply to W98.

The game was pretty obscure even at the time of it's release and was issued under 3 different names depending on Region. It had a luke warm reception and never benefitted from any further patches or technical upgrades.

Still, it's not a bad game. It's wacky and unconventional, which is refreshing in today's adventure game market.

Reply 3 of 6, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I saw the thread title, I assumed it was a facetious reference to LucasArts' Armed and Dangerous since I had never heard of Armed & Delirious. As you say, it was an obscure release.

Reply 5 of 6, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not familiar with this game either, but I did read something about having to install some older files with those early DX versions due to incompatibilities, maybe that might be the case here as well? Does it install DX3 automatically? If it asks whether to install it or not the natural choice would be to refuse if a newer version is installed, but perhaps in some cases a game might need the older files...

Reply 6 of 6, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

... Does it install DX3 automatically?...

No it doesn't. But since I got it running on Dx8a [squeaky lean fresh OS/drivers install] I suspect the culprit is some subtle diver/dll conflict. Running good on the P233 now.

More or less finished this legacy rig today as far as OS/drivers/Apps/Games are concerned. It's now home to most of my favorite 90's point-n-click Adventure games; either home-made full installs, or ISOs mounted with DT v333. 80gb drive sufficient so far. Also some early 3dfx/Voodoo 1 things as a point of reference to compare to V2/V5 and GlideWrappper IQ and performance, and driving/flying sim that run solid on a P-233.

W95b is quite nice really, and for all the abuse it took back in the day about 'bloat' it's a lean, mean, fighting machine by todays standards...