VOGONS

Common searches

UT2004 stutter

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have the game but I have similar problems with GPL and GT Legends.
You might want to check if your CPU isn't the culprit, check how the affinity is configured and maybe give the .exe more cores and a higher priority, see if that helps.
I generally aviod v-sync as it often seems it skips frames in order to prevent tearing and ends up in looking like 12fps while the fpscounter really says 60.

Reply 21 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Procyon wrote:

I don't have the game but I have similar problems with GPL and GT Legends.
You might want to check if your CPU isn't the culprit, check how the affinity is configured and maybe give the .exe more cores and a higher priority, see if that helps.
I generally aviod v-sync as it often seems it skips frames in order to prevent tearing and ends up in looking like 12fps while the fpscounter really says 60.

A Phenom II won't bottleneck UT2004 to the point where it'll stutter. Like any other application it's set to use all 4 cores by default, but in reality it probably won't use more than one. Remember the game came out when Athlon 64 was just new.

That X1950 Pro was on its way out btw. Artifacts and freezeups on booting. I just have no luck with these used cards I guess. Caved in and got a GTX 660, not that it will change anything for this game 🤣

Reply 22 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I gave this game a try on a fresh Win7 install with the new card. For some reason it is capped at 90 instead of 85 now. It appears to be a tad smoother compared to XP, especially when doing that wall test. I guess 90 FPS being better matched to 60 Hz than 85 FPS might explain some of this. That being said it's still nowhere near as smooth as it should be (i.e. offline mode).