VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone have a collective knowledge on the old After Dark series? Could we make a list?

There seems to be scattered information on various sites that I can dig up via Google.

I'd like to know what original or special deluxe versions existed, and what OS they supported. For example, I have After Dark 3.2, and it works for windows 3.1. I also have After Dark 4.0, however it does not work on my windows 3.1 install. It's for windows 95.

What theme versions were there? I have the original Star Trek and Star Trek The Next Generation editions, but I recently discovered that there are more. Simpsons, Looney, Disney, etc. However I have no clue what OS's those support.

Anyhow, perhaps a boring topic to most, but I'm interested to see if anyone here can give me a brain dump of what they know. These were my favorite back in the 90's when I first was learning computers.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The special themed packs generally are AfterDark 2.0 (1992) or 3.0 (1993+) modules which should be installed before 4.0/Deluxe. Windows 95 support wasn't implemented until 4. 3.2 had the ability to work in 95's system tray, but since it was still 16-bit it didn't support the kernel's password protection so they were easily bypassed security-wise.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, don't forget the ancient and relatively unknown original *DOS* version of After Dark... hehe, I still have my original install floppy 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bytesaber wrote:

What theme versions were there? I have the original Star Trek and Star Trek The Next Generation editions, but I recently discovered that there are more. Simpsons, Looney, Disney, etc. However I have no clue what OS's those support.

There was also a "Totally Twisted" edition, featuring a big Flying Toilet on the box.

It is kind of unfortunate that these things aren't better documented, but then again, there were just so many screen saver packages issued during that brief span of years.

Reply 7 of 11, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

Hey, don't forget the ancient and relatively unknown original *DOS* version of After Dark... hehe, I still have my original install floppy 😀

Dang why did you need to mention the DOS After Dark, now I'll be searching forever trying to find a copy.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And its predecessor Magic ScreenSaver.

And for nostalgia's sake: http://bryanbraun.github.io/after-dark-css/al … g-toasters.html

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been hoping to find a DOS screensaver package dating back to at least 1997 which features flying waffle irons, which are occasionally targeted by little missiles labelled "PATRIOT" and go down in flames when hit. I haven't gotten anywhere trying to find that one.

Reply 11 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps not DOS, but you could make your own with CSS starting from this: https://github.com/bryanbraun/after-dark-css

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers