VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

FFVII in 98SE with PCX5750 GPU and 1.02 (riva tnt/128) patch. No matter what driver settings I use, there's small corrupted vertical lines scattered around 2D graphics and text. I've read it could be "Alternate Pixel Center" being disabled but there is no such options via Rivatuner or Nvidia control panel (using PCX5750). Tried AAli's OpenGL driver (1.708B) but this resulted in 2D graphics being blank and no movies; FFVII config refuses to even start after selecting custom driver (forced me to re-install the game and the 1.02 patch).

Is there an older version of AAli's custom patch that works in 98SE with PCX5750? Is there a way to remove the vertical line corruption around 2D graphics?

Most grateful for any help!

Regards

Last edited by Holering on 2014-04-09, 12:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC the last version of Aali's custom driver is 0.7.11b...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 4, by Holering

User metadata

Okay; and stupid me! I meant to say was using 0.78b in first post.

Fixed problem. Downloaded official 1.02 patch and installed. Dowloaded Aali's latest 0.7.11b custom driver, but only copied the ff7config.exe. Ran ff7config, selected Direct3D with Nvidia (TNT) option. Problem solved!

Now I can enjoy the Yamaha s-yxg70 with 128 polyphony and 44k sample rate on my current rig (see sig); and the Awe32/64 soundfont built-in with vocals. How cool is that?! Antialiasing @ 8xS doesn't even cause artifacts (though 4x smooths better IMO)... Feel so weird right now (thought 9x was dead). Amazing!

Many thanks GameCollector! Amazing forums as usual!

Regards

Thanks

EDIT:
Restarted windows and the grid lines are back! Didn't change anything! Now if I can figure out what exactly does this...

EDIT:
After closing all windows and running FF7 from start-menu, artifacts are gone! I guess they only appear if any windows are open? Have to keep ant-aliasing off too. Using latest unofficial 82.69 Nvidia drivers BTW...

Reply 4 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

The game uses 8-bit paletted textures. Might be a problem with that? I'd probably try some old drivers...

1.02 patch have fixed this. The game works w/o the paletted textures support after this patch. Visual quality drop is small.
Plus there is an Aali's custom driver...

About black lines - "alternate pixel center" fixes this. Dunno about geforces, for ATis there are ATI Tray Tools or Ati Control Panel settings.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).