VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I work my way through the available MS-DOS eyecandy I realize I will likely want to provide similar support for early Windows eyecandy as I have for DOS. Since I can't legally distribute Windows, what are my best options for running Windows programs today? I currently have minimal knowledge on ReactOS, and some of the efforts of Wine, but would love to hear details from others who have tried to get Windows things running outside of Windows. Details on things like audio and 8b+ graphics modes would be appreciated.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 1 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ReactOS and Wine are pretty much as far as it goes these days. HX DOS Extender is another option, but there's no sound support for that currently and there probably never will be.

See also Will there ever be a practical WindowsBox program? .

Reply 2 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As regards Wine, I have had plenty of success running old windows games in Wine. I have a collection of over 400 games from the 1997-2002 era and of that i have listed 378 running perfectly.
I'm not really into all these new games to be honest too much eye candy over playability since 2006

Reply 3 of 17, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess the other factor I'm probably interested in would be Windows screensaver support. I think ReactOS has such, but I'm unclear as things like DirectX come into play.

Reply 5 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As per what Jorpho said, as regards wine windows screensavers can be used in Wine, although obviously i havent tested many screensavers recently 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

It still does not solve the 16-bit stuff on x64 problem.

I was thinking of ReactOS for that. My current issues there seem to be...
-Limited networking support, which makes getting content into ReactOS a pain, handled by burning/mounting ISO images at the moment.
-General instability, I'm seeing various hangs just running ReactOS's out of the box screensavers. So I'm guessing I'll run into issues with other things.

Last edited by kolano on 2014-04-15, 20:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

It still does not solve the 16-bit stuff on x64 problem.

Actually with wine I have never had that problem installing 16bit applications. That error you get in windows has never popped up for me in wine as i tend to use 32bit wine versions anyway even though I am on a 64bit system. You can, just like windows select which version of windows to start from windows 3.1 to window 8

Reply 10 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Resident Evil does run well in Wine albeit in software only mode right now

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … ersion&iId=9396

I play them now again myself (1, 2, 3)

Reply 11 of 17, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone comment on Wine for Windows?

The WineHQ wiki page here...
http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOnWindows
...seems to indicate it has problems and I haven't found a quick guide to it's usage,

Reply 13 of 17, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I'm not sure that page has changed much at all in the last ten years. No one seems to care enough to get it working properly.

Hrm, OK, so I guess I'd be looking at running a Linux distro and running Wine within it then. Maybe ReactOS is the easier route, even with it's deficiencies. Though ReactOS doesn't seem to support running DOS executable, so things that were mixed mode between x16 Windows and DOS don't work 😒. It also seems to fail to support x16 Windows Screensavers, which result in an "ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT - <exe> is not a valid Windows32 application".

Reply 14 of 17, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But that still involves multi booting. I still think that danoon's approach is the best, if there is anyone capable of taking it on.

Java Port

It would also address the 16-bit Win EXE on x64 problem.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 17, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone else find it ironic that it's often easier to run 30 year old software meant for completely different hardware (via emulation) than it is to play old Windows games that are half that age, on Windows?

Reply 16 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, many of the internals of Windows are shrouded in mystery, such that programmers were able to get away with doing things the wrong way to a varying extent over the years. I like this blurb about the Windows Heap.

Reply 17 of 17, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

Does anyone else find it ironic that it's often easier to run 30 year old software meant for completely different hardware (via emulation) than it is to play old Windows games that are half that age, on Windows?

Windows has always been known as a clusterfuck in the programming community