VOGONS

Common searches

Episode 1 Racer - White Screen (LA FTP down)

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 69, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sobek

Your footage looks really great. What software did you use to record it?
I got it running on my win7 x64 R9 290 flawlessly as well but had to use DxWnd to be able to record with OBS.
Also glad to see someone playing Bullseye, And you are really fast! I recently did a play through of each race,
while recording it does not run as flawlessly because of the OBS/DxWnd combo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2FayR … qSRLJeFfrDTCcsF

Reply 61 of 69, by Sobek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
Sobek This is what it says for the n64 EDIT #3: to enter the debug menu code, you have to hold down the Z button, and use the L […]
Show full quote

Sobek
This is what it says for the n64
EDIT #3: to enter the debug menu code, you have to hold down the Z button, and use the L button to input the code, and it's actually all at once: RRTANGENTABACUS, and if you mess up a letter, you have to go back out and re-enter the entire code,

Have you tried the pc equivalent of holding down the Z button and using the L button ?

Indeed I have haha. I spent a solid hour trying all manner of key combinations - I figured, hey maybe the whole Z / L and tangentabacus and such all applies to the PC version, keylock was at 3 keys anyway. Sadly, no joy. I even tried creating a profile using one of the N64 names (rrdebug, tangentabacus etc) and then holding Z and/or L in the ingame pause menu and typing the codes JUST to see... Nothing works, at all. I've exhausted my options haha. I'm sure it's some kind of specific nice thing.

One thought I had was in regards to the registry entries. There's one there for 'debug mode' which if you set it to 1 (on), if you run the game it resets itself to zero. I'm thinking that perhaps if a certain launch command was added to the shortcut for the game or something, it might work in conjunction with that being set at 1 to enable debug mode. I have yet to find a combination that works. Frustrating!!

AlphaPapa wrote:
Sobek […]
Show full quote

Sobek

Your footage looks really great. What software did you use to record it?
I got it running on my win7 x64 R9 290 flawlessly as well but had to use DxWnd to be able to record with OBS.
Also glad to see someone playing Bullseye, And you are really fast! I recently did a play through of each race,
while recording it does not run as flawlessly because of the OBS/DxWnd combo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2FayR … qSRLJeFfrDTCcsF

Hey, thanks! I actually used FRAPS, of all things. The game normally runs at something like 80fps, but FRAPS brought that down to about 40 or so. That's why I was slamming into walls and overcompensating so much on the first lap haha, it took a while to get used to the lower framerate and input lag. It recorded full screen perfectly though, no troubles. I noticed on your recordings you've got that slight transparency issue, where you can see objects through level geometry and such? I found my game would ONLY work perfectly with the Wine d3d dll's and XP SP2 compatability mode on the exe (98/se or SP3 both caused problems). With that combination, I can run the game with full AA and such as per the note a couple of pages back... gosh it looks amazing, the video compression on Youtube really hides the fact that it's got some wicked levels of AA applied.

Have you tried running it with the Wine d3d dll's? If not, you should. Literally 100% perfect.

And hell yeah, Bullseye! He was always my main man when playing on the N64, though sometimes I used Neva Key. No one else seems to be as fast, light or fast moving as he is. Sure he's as weak as a fart in the wind, but if you're playing great, hitting things should not be on your list of problems hahaha. Great to see you did a FULL upload of all of the levels - I had a look but didn't see any in a basic youtube search, are your videos all public? Hmmmm. Good job, I had considered doing the same myself, but I think I might just take a few stabs at some world records if I can confirm what the times are somehow.

Reply 62 of 69, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sobek,

Fraps? I used to be able to record with Msi Afterburner/RTSS but that broke with a certain driver update. I will need to try fraps.

I also meant to ask you what you use to control your game? joystick/Gamepad. keyboard!?!?
I'm using what I call a ghetto Hotas just 2 Usb joysticks acting as One with UJR/AutoHotKey

Your best place to look for world records I would assume is at the major speed runner websites or forums. they would have a list, Or you can start one.

I have tried the wine d3d Dlls before but it did nothing Or I did not understand the procedure.
I got my game to run perfectly with Only popping the CD in and using The modified 16/32bit installer. This after trying more times then I can remember, the latest being after I put in my R9 290. Once I saw It worked I also did the 1080p hex edit.

You probably did not find my play though due to crappy video tagging and the fact that its a small unpopular channel hiding in the corner.

Reply 64 of 69, by Sobek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. I was just wondering something... I haven't played Ep1 racer in a while, but absolutely NOTHING has changed hardware or software wise on my pc. The game works perfectly fine as it did last time I launched it, but for some reason now it's always loading up in 16bit colour - everything is so poorly dithered and the colour banding is horrible. Has anyone ever encountered this before? I've been trying for days now to force the game back into 32bit colour as I had it from day one (which I never had to force, it just stayd 32bpp by itself) but I've come up dry. There's nothing I can change in Wined3d, windows is set at 32bb... I'm completely miffed. It's honestly making me not want to play it!!

How bizarre

Alright, finally fixed it... Turns out I had the 'Offscreen rendering' option in WineD3D set to FBO instead of Backbuffer, which kills the dithering, disables AA/AF, etc etc. Now that I'm thinking on it, I'm pretty sure I changed that during the course of getting the old 2005 Starship Troopers FPS working.

Either way, good lesson to be learned for anyone who comes along in the future 😀

Reply 65 of 69, by ghotik2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I'm gho (ghotik2002 here in this forum) developer of the open source program DxWnd hosted on sourceforce ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/ )
I already inserted within DxWnd a patch for SW Episode 1 Racer, based on the repetition of a VideoPort->Clear2 invocation, but this patch is not fully satisfactory.
I noticed that the patch implemented by (I believe ...) AxXxB seems much better and also source code is available, but I'm more familiar with C language rather than assembly and so I'm not sure I can fully understand his work.
As far as I could understand, instead of issuing a Clear2 method the patch performs a Lock / Unlock operation on the ZBuffer surface and writes all bynary 1s (0xFFFFFFFF) in the whole surface area, but I could have missed important parts.
So I wrote here to ask two things:
1) permission to include this patch within DxWnd, once converted from assembly to C
2) some more information about how the patch works
Please, be aware that I don't need instructions about the ddraw hooking, operation that is already performed in DxWnd and using a different technique from the proxy dll, but only about the operations that shoud be performed on the ddraw session and surfaces.
You can reply here or on the DxWnd SF board, as you may prefer, or write to my email address ghotik2002@yahoo.com.
Thanks in advance,
GHO

Reply 66 of 69, by Crpetersen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New to this system so I am not sure I am posting this in the right area. But with the kind help of you people I have
solved the White Screen issue with my computer at least. Downloaded WxWnd, and played around with it last night.
Got a bit late so I went off to sleep , but this morning started out fresh and was ready to solve the puzzle.

Using a modern system with I7-6700k 32 gigs ram and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 TI

Opened WxWnd and imported or added the run file from the Lucasarts directory.
C:\Racer\SWEP1RCR and did the change settings option..

went to the MAIN tab and unchecked everything, because I wanted to play in full screen.
went to the Direct 3D tab next and checked 'Clean Zbuffer @1.0 fix' and the 'Disable Fogging'

That was basically it, and it began working with out all the white screen..

Did run into a secondary problem.. When playing the game I noticed that the left key was not
working properly, and the Boost (Right SHIFT) was not working either.. Also noticed in the
game that the keyboard seemed to be hyper active, trying to move a setting for 3 tracks to
5 tracks it just flew thew the numbers so.. Started playing around with what could have caused
this.. Went into the computer Keyboard settings and turned everything down to its lowest level.
same result.. Keys still not working.. Worked on this issue in WxWnd for a half hour to an hour
and found the solution.. The CPU is way to fast for the game and its going so fast that its
sampling of data was getting missed.. Would not even read what was going on with the left and
boost key..

SO went into TIMING tab, and checked the 'CPU SLOW DOWN' then added 16 in the box next to
it.. Had to experiment to find the right number.. But it works!

Hope this helps someone out there.. The idea of WxWnd was from this blog.. THANK YOU

Reply 67 of 69, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

does anyone know if A3D or DirectSound works in this game? and how does it sound like on an actual sound card without emulation? i can't find any videos online.

tried with ALchemy and i even though it looks enabled, i am not sure if it sounds correct.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 68 of 69, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see the game has come out on Steam, not sure what fixes that version uses: https://store.steampowered.com/app/808910/STA … pisode_I_Racer/

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 69 of 69, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I see the game has come out on Steam, not sure what fixes that version uses: https://store.steampowered.com/app/808910/STA … pisode_I_Racer/

same as GoG

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames