VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know an effective way to get Atari Anniversary Edition to work properly with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit?

I can get it to install, get the main menus and click on the game, but as soon as I move the mouse to start the game - or hit the appropriate key - the screen goes completely black. I can ESC to exit the game, and I've tried all of the usual things, including compatibility mode. Nothing so far has worked.

Using a Virtual PC is also an option, but one I'd like to pursue only if everything else fails. (I still can't get some games to run full-screen in VPC ... )

Relevant info: I have a dual-monitor system. The primary monitor is on a GeForce 9400GT (PCI-E), and the secondary monitor is on a GeForce 6600 (also PCI-E) with recent drivers. (Other specs will be provided on request, but I suspect this is a video card/driver issue.)

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jspyder wrote:

but as soon as I move the mouse to start the game - or hit the appropriate key - the screen goes completely black.

Can you be more specific about this? If there's something triggered by the motion of your mouse, I would suspect you've got some kind of mouse-monitoring software running in the background, like one of Logitech's utilities.

Reply 4 of 5, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For unrelated reasons I had to disable the 6600, and now I'm no longer getting the black screen. The mouse doesn't seem to be interfering at all.

It's playing really slow, however, including very sluggish response from the controls. I've done what the game itself suggests - reducing the resolution for one (down to 640x480), but it doesn't really help too much ... any suggestions?