VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 3.x specific games

Topic actions

First post, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I was just wondering if anyone can tell me of any good games that were specifically for Windows 3.x. By this I mean, games that came out around that time that DIDN'T run in DOS but only ran in Windows. I have a few like Indiana Jones Desktop Adventure, Shadowgate, Univited, and the Windows Entertainment packs (with SkiFree Chip's Challenge, etc.) but I was wondering which other ones were good...or even in existence...

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Inner Space and Castle of the Winds

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Zombie Wars (the sequel to Halloween Harry / Alien Carnage) was a Windows 3.x game, and a rather nice one too.

There's Dare to Dream, one of Epic's earliest games (written in Visual Basic 1.0!) and not without its charms.

Entomoprh had a Windows 3.x version, but also came with a Windows 95 version (which is why you can get it on GOG.com), so it probably doesn't count.

I rather liked Comet Busters (particularly the later versions with WinG support), but asteroid clones are a dime a dozen.

JumpStar was fairly impressive at the time for a horizontal-scrolling shooter, but those are a dime a dozen too, and the shareware version was over too quickly. (Good luck trying to get the full version now!)

Reply 3 of 34, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd add Bermuda Syndrome (1995), underrated IMO. Does run in Win95, but also 3.x I'm not sure if it counts for your search since it wasn't originally released only for 3.x, but most of 3.x games could run anyway in Win95

Reply 4 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately the peak of Win 3.1 gaming coincided with a dork age (the painful 3.1>95 transition period of 1995), so there's stuff like Ice Breaker (only its installer is fun), Pressure Drop, a bunch of 7th Level titles ...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 34, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fury 3 ran on Win 3.x, Win9x and WinNT using the same exe.
EDIT: I guess it doesn't count much as it needed Win32s to run under Win 3.x

Last edited by filipetolhuizen on 2014-05-02, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 34, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Critical Path?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 8 of 34, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

so there's stuff like Ice Breaker (only its installer is fun)

Love Ice Breaker. Still play it.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 12 of 34, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know FreeCell was one...

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 14 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, wasn't there some submarine game "Battle"something that used WinG? I think it had a different name in Germany and the US.
Also, doesn't Fury3 use WinG? I remember having to run the WinG test for one or two games...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 34, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm fairly certain there's a version of Lemmings that uses WinG. Might just be a Win32s app though. Also, I remember this Space Invaders clone called "Space Bastards" that had prerendered 3D graphics and really neat weapons. Unfortunately, the waves were all the same pattern, and the flamethrower weapon would bring my 486DX2 66 to a crawl. 🤣

Spectre VR has a decent Win3.x version that installs alongside the DOS version, and it offers higher resolution graphics.

Reply 18 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think I either meant Battle Isle 3 or Schleichfahrt („Archimedean Dynasty“). Definitely not Aces of the Deep but it gave me food for thought to find what I meant 😀

Reply 19 of 34, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Hmm, wasn't there some submarine game "Battle"something that used WinG?

Aces of the Deep?

Command Aces of the Deep did, but Aces of the Deep was a DOS game. Command also required Win32s.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers