Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

A bunch of Sim* games

Were there any of them exclusive to Windows 3.x, though?

swaaye wrote:

What games use WinG in 3.1? I just remember a few screensavers.

SimCity 2000, definitely. And the aforementioned Comet Busters in its last versions. I can't quite recall if JumpStar did.

A bit of Googling also suggests Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase and Grand Prix Manager.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Also, I remember this Space Invaders clone called "Space Bastards" that had prerendered 3D graphics and really neat weapons. Unfortunately, the waves were all the same pattern, and the flamethrower weapon would bring my 486DX2 66 to a crawl. 🤣

Ahh, Space Bastards! Great fun, that one, and strangely addictive. I thought it was Win9x, though.

Reply 23 of 34, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might not count much, but Sim City Classic was Win 3.x only. It has a few differences from the DOS version aside the title.

Reply 25 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Also there's Simcity 2000 Network Edition, IIRC was 16-bit

Nope, that was definitely 32-bit, although there were severe difficulties in getting it to cooperate with 2K/XP/etc. (Someone finally developed a patch recently.)

Reply 26 of 34, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't see that anyone else has mentioned it, so I will: The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time. That was in my opinion a cool adventure game, featuring lots of FMV and "photo realistic" graphics as they liked to call it back then.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 27 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've watched the Journeyman Project series on YouTube. Interesting games. The comic relief Arthur AI that everyone thinks is hilarious is grating to me though. 🤣

Reply 29 of 34, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Journeyman Project Turbo! was 3.x specific, but runs just fine under 95/98. Just going by the bundle of software that came with my orignal Packard Bell...Silent Steel, Tuneland, Spider-man Cartoon Maker...

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 31 of 34, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Balance of Power is quite famous apparently but I never played it.

Lots and lots of little 'gamelets' were produced in that era/environment. Most are forgettable. Two good ones that come to mind are Wslam and Confound. Several of the Microsoft games were quite good, like Pipe Dream.

An interesting subtype of this are games originally released for DOS then faithfully rewritten for Windows. Battle Chess is an example. It's exactly the same, but runs in a Windows window. I wonder how many people paid for two different versions of their favorite games?

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 33 of 34, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And buggy as hell. Sierra support has said that they had more calls about Outpost than any other game. It is why they released Outpost 1.5.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers