VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

Possible to check Windows version with CD key? Any software that can do this with Windows 95 keys?

Reply 4 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why do you have a CD key without a disc?

If you have some kind of Microsoft certificate of authenticity, there is probably some way of determining the Windows 95 version from that alone.

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Jorpho you are evil 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Why do you have a CD key without a disc?

It is possible he has the key and not the disc. I have several keys for Windows NT 4.0 laying at home. I got them from my uncle's workplace. Just the "Microsoft Certificate of Authencity" with the CD key, no CD. My guess is that they threw the CD's away at some point, but since the keys were stored in a separate storage case they forgot about them.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I mean, if there's a 1997 copyright date on the Certificate of Authenticity, that's probably a good indication that it's Windows 95B, and if it's 95C, I would expect it to say "with Microsoft Internet Explorer" on it.

Reply 8 of 9, by Holering

User metadata

Date is 1998 so I'm assuming 95C. CD sleeve itself is February 1999 (22 months before EOL. What a joke.). It's an HP system recovery disc so I'm wondering what other CD I can use with this particular key.

EDIT:
Found a clean looking legal site and downloaded an OEM iso; it worked! Not sure how legal-illegal my actions were but site was dedicated to windows 9x, patches, software and updates. Now I can remove internet explorer and have a Windows 9x like 98lite; except not gimped and faster (boots up way faster in safe mode (like 1-2 seconds); no joke!). Compact 95OSR2 install with multimedia component only uses 77.2 MB (without swap file).

Last edited by Holering on 2014-05-08, 22:41. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have the right key already on the system it came with. There is no illegal case here.. Maybe the key came with on already installed os..
But actually the key is already paid for.. So the key is just valid for that system..

And there is nothing wrong with copying an ISO file if you have the valid key.. Otherwise you are not allowed to make slip-stream cds from win95 /win xp

~ At least it can do black and white~