VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

Resident Evil 1 had glitchy shadows with Directx 7.0 (installed from Half Life Blue Shift CD). Using Rage 128 VR pci with 12-2000 drivers btw. Also, there wasn't really any speed issues (usually the game runs too fast on new hardware, but didn't notice that on rage 128 with directx 7.0). So I installed directx 9 and the shadows got fixed, but now the game runs too fast. I'm guessing (and hoping) there's a sweet spot of directx 7.x version that'll fix the shadows without making the game too fast.

Anyone have experience downgrading directx?

Help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
Okay so I tried reinstalling directx from the regular half life CD. It finished but Resident Evil ran really choppy and slow. Okay so then I installed the latest unofficial directx 9 release (supposed to fix something with the august 2006 package), and entire comp slowed to a crawl. Waited forever until it finally finished and rebooted. Now Resident Evil has stable framerate (haven't ran into any cut scenes yet so don't know if those are too fast) and fixed shadows.

Rage 128 really is a great card and I'm very happy with it. Runs Half Life like a Voodoo 3/4 (using the slower VR version BTW), anti aliasing without 2d graphic glitches, paletted textures without glitches, and does 32 bit color (some games don't slowdown with 32bit color). This is on a Piledriver setup of course. Can't wait until my pcie IDE card gets here (will add two sata channels too).

EDIT:
Got past Vjolt scenario with plant, all the way to some hunters and ran into Barry (he lets you go down hole after you kill snake, and he acts strange.). Cutscenes didn't run too fast and played at perfect speed. Re-ran intro cutscene with Jill, Barry and Wesker just to make sure, and it ran just perfect. Wow!... No 2d glitches at all despite using antialiasing (this is the only card I've seen where AA doesn't cause glitches with FFVII and RE1 2d graphics). Very, very nice! 😀

EDIT:
Let the cut scenes go further at start (up to where Barry and Jill look for Chris), and it does seem to load too fast. There's no pause between speeches so the animations finished before character speeches were over (looked like Barry was using Jill's voice). Really can't complain however, since the framerate is indeed locked, doesn't skip frames or fast forward; and it is nice skipping through doors without loading time. Using 0mb install BTW with backup mounted through daemon tools. Feel intensed with this Rage 128 VR hehe.