VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Hexen (original disc) working in Windows 98SE. It says in the manual it supports direct play and install in windows 95. I understand I should probably be doing this in DOS but I do not have a ISA slot so my PC will not recognize my SoundBlaster Live! card for sound. I did however install it in dos anyways after uninstalling it from windows after it quit working. And it did work fine except for no sound of course. Now back to the Windows issue, the game installs and in the setup screen I can define new keyboard keys, but anytime I try and select any other tabs to configure like mouse, sound, video etc... I get ERROR

HLAUNCH this program has performed and illegal operation and will be shut down. Then in the details I see "HLAUNCH CAUSED AND INVALID PAGE FAULT IN module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7a125.

registers:

Theres about 8 lines of text here. I will post a pic if what is provided is not enough.

I also tried playing directly from disc (no install) and same errors. I am however getting sound on the setup launch screen. I have read online I may need to patch the game but I can not find even if my life depended on it any updates for any games. Not this, not baldurs gate, icewind dale, etc...

Also I would like to mention because maybe it could be linked, upon startup on my PC I get a directX error. I have the latest DirectX installed from the Falconfly.de page supported by windows 98. I think it is 9.0c or something. I have tried reinstalling directX numerous times and can not get rid of this error. I googled and found a few people with similar errors and they are always linked to some Microsoft website and I do not see this error listed. I have read it so many times.

the directX error on startup is...

ADVANCED INF Install

Error: could not locate INF file "\DirectX.inf"

Not sure if it could be linked, just trying to provide as much info as possible. I am pretty sure all my dirvers for everything installed on my PC are up to date, as I have spent the last 3 weeks lurking the web dangerously downloading driver files on my windows 7 pc.

I would love any information, especially on this directX error.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't really need a Windows 98 computer to play Hexen, you know. There are many source ports that will work perfectly on any current machine and some are specifically geared towards delivering an authentic experience.

jforrest1980 wrote:

Theres about 8 lines of text here. I will post a pic if what is provided is not enough.

That probably won't help.

I have read online I may need to patch the game but I can not find even if my life depended on it any updates for any games.

😕
https://www.google.ca/search?q=hexen+offical+patches

they are always linked to some Microsoft website and I do not see this error listed.

Instead of telling us about it, why not give us a link to the page in question?

the directX error on startup is...

ADVANCED INF Install

Error: could not locate INF file "\DirectX.inf"

Something probably went wrong with your DirectX install. You should try running DirectX setup again.

Reply 8 of 8, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

At that point it's not Hexen any more, it's just some flare-filled stagnancy.

I didn't exactly go crazy with the graphical settings. I wanted three things;

1. Stability
2. Mouselook
3. No auto-aim

I used a slightly older version of JDoom and didn't have any stability problems. It gives you regular mouselook, which was handy for seeing when you're being attacked by enemies on top of a wall. And lastly, it lets you turn off auto-aim, so that your shots go exactly where you aim them. Maybe that's not true to the original game, but I always found it a cheat to be able to aim straight ahead and hit an enemy that looks like it's 50 feet above me.

I don't remember too many specifics now since it's been a few years, but I seem to recall that Doom/Doom 2 (which I also played with JDoom) had a few places where you would get attacked by enemies that were high enough that you couldn't see them unless you were able to look up. In the original Doom, you could still shoot them, but how are you supposed to know where they are if you can't see them?