VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally grabbed a Voodoo3 2000 in PCI for an old OEM box and am trying to get it to run Quake II in 1024x768 in Win98SE. I downloaded the 1.07 Voodoo3 drivers and am using Quake II 6.20. I can get the game to run with the default OpenGL renderer at 1024x768, but it refuses to go to 1024x768 with the 3dfx OpenGL renderer. It gets stuck in the console mode in a window when I try that resolution.

I've renamed 3dfxgl.dll into opengl32.dll in the Quake2 directory, but this didn't seem to make a difference. If I do this, do I select the default or 3dfx OpenGL renderer from the Options screen?

Could the issue be related to not having DirectX 7? Right now I have DirectX 6.1, but the Readme on the 1.07 drivers says to install DirectX 7.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't use the 3dfx OpenGL renderer. Don't rename or copy 3dfxgl.dll to another file. Just use Default OpenGL.

3dfxgl is intended to be used with Voodoo1/2. Voodoo3 has a full OpenGL ICD so using "3dfx OpenGL" is not necessary.

Quake2 doesn't require DirectX 7 (or DirectX at all - it can use GDI and Waveout), though your V3 3dfx driver will require at least 6.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great, thank you! The only other 3dfx product I have is a Banshee, so I've been used to using the 3dfxgl after renaming it.

Is the miniGL worth using over the default OpenGL?

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. The MiniGL existed because 3dfx did not release a full ICD at the time. Voodoo 1 / 2 being secondary video adapters that hijack the VGA signal for it to be used wouldn't work well with a general purpose full GL ICD. Later on around Spring 1999, 3dfx started including a full ICD for use with Quake III Arena in their v1/v2 drivers. That's also different since it still requires explicit support and still isn't for general purpose use. Before that, for V1/V2 it's MiniGL or nothing (or if you're clever to find the betas of the full ICD with some games...)

By the way, the same "don't use MiniGL" advice also applies to the Banshee.

apsosig.png
long live PCem