VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CyberSpeed (Mindscape) - how to install manually on Windows 98, Windows XP & Windows 7 (32bit & 64bit):

If the included installer with CyberSpeed won't work for you, then I've worked out how to install the game without using the installer. NOTE: the following guide performs a full install of the game. The original game had a medium and minimum install, but the full version allows you to run the game without the CD in the drive (if you choose to do so, although you'll miss the CD music if your copy of the game has it - my "Gamers Choice Expert Software" re-release is missing the CD music tracks!).

1. Create a folder to install the game into, for the purposes of this example I'm using c:\games\CyberSpeed

2. From the CD-ROM, open each of the following folders, then copy THEIR CONTENTS into c:\games\CyberSpeed:
- CYBER folder
- DATA folder
- LOCALDAT folder

3. From the CD-ROM, copy the WHOLE FOLDER (NOT the contents of it) into c:\games\CyberSpeed:
- LOGO folder

4. Make a new folder in c:\games\CyberSpeed called Savegame

5. At this point, the c:\games\CyberSpeed should contain:

B01
B02
B03
B04
B05
BINDATA
H01
H02
LOGO
MOVIES
NEWSHIPS
P01
PICS
S01
S02
Savegame
SHIPS
SOUNDS
SOUNDS2
W01
W02
W03
W04
W05
W06
CYBER.EXE
CYBER.PRF
CYBERHLP.HLP
ENGINE3.BMP
MSNDDS.DLL
SMACKW32.DLL
SSHIP.XOF
SUPER1.BMP
SUPER2.BMP
SUPER3.BMP
SUPER4.BMP

5a. Windows 98 ONLY: Open the CD-ROM's RMORPH folder, and copy the contents into the C:\Windows\System\ folder

OR

5b. Windows XP/Windows 7 (32bit): Open the CD-ROM's RMORPH folder, and copy the contents into the C:\Windows\System32\ folder

OR

5c. Windows 7 (64bit): Open the CD-ROM RMORPH folder, and copy the contents into the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ folder

6a. Windows 98/Windows XP/Windows 7 (32bit): Create a text document on the desktop, and input the following into it:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\RootDir]
@="C:\\games\\CyberSpeed"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\BinDir]
@="C:\\games\\CyberSpeed\\CYBER"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\LocalDir]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\RemoteDir]
@="C:\\games\\CyberSpeed\\DATA"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\InstallOption]
@="Maximum"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\Language]
@="ENG"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\InstallDir]

OR

6b. Windows 7 (64bit): Create a text document on the desktop, and input the following into it:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\RootDir]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\BinDir]
@="C:\\games\\CyberSpeed\\CYBER"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\LocalDir]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\RemoteDir]
@="C:\\games\\CyberSpeed\\DATA"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\InstallOption]
@="Maximum"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\Language]
@="ENG"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindscape\Cyberspeed\InstallDir]

7. Save the text document, but change it's extension when saving from .txt to .reg

8. Double-click the .reg file you made and install the strings into the Registry

9a. Windows 98 ONLY: Set the Desktop to 256 colors, then open the c:\games\CyberSpeed folder and double-click CYBER.EXE to launch the game.

OR

9b. Windows XP/Windows 7 (32bit & 64bit): Open the c:\games\CyberSpeed folder then right-click CYBER.EXE and set the following in Properties > Compatibility tab: tick Run this program in compatibility mode for "Windows 98 / Windows Me", and tick "Run in 256 colors". Double-click CYBER.EXE to launch the game.

10. You can (right-click drag away) a shortcut to CYBER.EXE if you wish.

NOTE: you can change the install path from c:\games\CyberSpeed to whatever you like, just update the relevant .reg folder above with the correct path (remember in the path to use two slashes instead of one in the .reg file, as shown above).

11. EXTRA IMPORTANT: in the folder the game is installed in, create a SAVEGAME folder. Otherwise you can't save your progress!

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2023-08-14, 22:32. Edited 1 time in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's CDA?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 5 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tested this on Win 8.1 64bit, and it works fine too!

Reply 6 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm just came back to this and discovered when you try saving progress, it can't!

So I've added the final missing step to my original post 😀